Center Console Lcd Is 1/2 Lit!

I have a 1994 ES with the center console(contains the radio and climate controls) and only 1/2 of it is lit! The radio 's LCD is lit, but the climate control LCD is only 1/2 lit!!! I have read many posts about replacing the LCD screen only on the radio, but can I do the same thing with the climate control LCD screen too?!?!?! Please help

-Brian

I just got the same problem, and I believe this has been discussed before. I will try to find the thread.

As a etmporary fix, try banging on you dash . . . it may make the light come back to life for a few weeks before going completely shot.

Regards,

Bryan

This seems to be the best thread that I could find that discusses the issue:

Burnt Bulbs in Climate Control Thread

What sucks for me is that I had a bulb burn out in my A/C control unit just after I instally my new Alpine CDA-9835 MP3 CD unit (which is wicked by the way)! If I only knew beforehand, I could have pulled the A/C unit out when I pulled out the stereo :( Oh well . . . I'm just going to have to pull it out again today . . .

I hope that my Lexus dealer will sell me the bulbs for the climate control . . . Maybe the trick is to just go in with the bulbs (like SK did) and not tell them what you need them for . . .

SK. did your local Lexus dealer happen to stock these bulbs? they seem like they would be a rare part . . .

Regards,

Bryan

From what I have read, I believe you have the LCD screen and the bulbs that light it up. If you just have a burnt bulb (like I do), then that is all that should need replacing. I don't think you would have to replace the screen unless the you couldn't read what is on the screen. In my case, the pictures/icons are still on the screen, it's just that I need the backligh to make them visible at night . . .

By the way, I emailed my local Lexus dealer about ordering bulbs yesterday, but they still haven't replied yet. I will keep you updated.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Thanks a lot! Please keep me updated about those bulbs. So, I guess all I need ar those bulbs because I can read the icons on the LCD screen, but I need them to be lit! Thanks for clearing that up! One more thing..........How hard is it to replace / change those bulbs? Is there a thread with a procedure on installing them......or would the dealer do it for less?!?!?!?

-Brian

• 2 months later...

On my 1994 300ES, the LCD of the Climate Control is lit by soldered in bulbs sandwiched between the LCD and a circuit board, beyond my confidence to deal with. Banging on the front used to get one or two to light up for awhile, but now they're dead. Please let me know if you find a solution to this short of buying a replacement climate control from Lexus, thanks Alan