Transmission Pan Flush Question

92Lex

Last night i decided that I was gonna flush the tranny pan. From what i read a transmission pan flush would only flush out 2 quarts...I got 3 quarts out of my flush last night. I had the front wheels up on ramps while I drained the tranny pan...to my surprise i ended up with 3 quarts of fluid being drained versus the 2 quarts I was anticipating. My question is, would 2 quarts be the right number ONLY if the car is raised at an even level? So because I had my front wheels up on ramps would 3 quarts be normal? Has anyone ever done this with their car on a ramp? I searched through the forum but couldnt find anything about this besides it should be 2 quarts. I wasnt sure if either my tranny was over-filled by the last owner or was the ramp the reason for this extra quart...so I rolled my car off of the ramp and pushed it into my garage. Please help...I wanna drive worry free. Thanks.

Lex,

When I use ramps on my 98 I have a sloped driveway. The car sits just a tick higher in the front. This way I know everything will drain out. The first time I did the drain I got about 3 qts as well. The first time I filled it I put in about 2 1/2 qts. Wanted to see if everyones posts were right. Well they were. Turns out everyone is right. After I checked the fluid a few days later I was over the "hot" region. (Too much tranny fluid). I have since done it three times and now only put back in 2 qts. I wouldn't worry about the ramps when you drain the fluid. Most of the fluid is still in the torque converter anyway. Just make sure that when you check the fluid that your car is on level ground. Not on a sloped driveway. Hope this helps.

He is just giving me crap. We literally live right across the street from each other. Been trying to get the fuel filter done. RCR actually tried but started loosing the filter and saw all the gas come a pouring out. He had second thoughts then. Can't say that I blame him. We both have 98s so when a problem arises it is nice to bring the other car over to help troubleshoot. Good thing they are Lexus machines as there have not been too many of those breakdown things. We just need to mentally prepare ourselves for getting douched with gas. We have done just about everything else, tranny change, plugs, differential fluid, side marker lamp mods, oil,etc.

just un-do the line from filter to injector first...plug it with your thumb then un-do the fuel line closes to fuel cap...then plug it with your thumb again...it should save you a good amount of gas..then take a lighter and check the lines for leaks..jk jk. hey, thanks for the info on the tranny...i overshot by 1/2 a quart...it should be fine right?

hey, i pan drained my tranny a few days ago. i read numorous postings stating that a pan drain will be about 2 quarts... i added 2 quarts, so i did that but when i checked my dip stick (norm. op. temperature,at idle, and on a flat surface) it was still below the line. so i slowly added a few ounces at a time to get it right in the middle of the HOT part of the dip stick. i ended up adding a full quart so im at 3 quarts for my pan drain. when my motor is off and cold (mornings) the atf fluid is actually in the 'hot' zone. i keep seeing postings about a pan drain being 2 quarts but if i actually have 3 in there will this be harmful to my tranny? it seems like 3 quarts is actually the correct amount for me. should a pan drain be done with the car NOT raised? am i doing something wrong here? any help would greatly be appreciated, i need some peace of mind. thanks.

CJZen Writes:

"In response to the tranny flush. I'm not an expert but a few years ago

I did some research on this issue. It was recommended I do a 'flush'

which means that the service outfit drains 'all your tranny fluid,

including the torque converter. They do this by taking the copper line off

the at the front of the car where it goes thru the radiator system that

cools the fluid. They basically start the car; let all the fuid be

pumped thru the line into a disposal tank. At the same time the copper

tube that goes back to the tranny is fed new fluid. Visual inspection

confirms that the job is complete when the fluid is pinkish clear. I

paid about $90 then but suspect you can get it done for about that amount

now. I think this is your best bet and would only do it every 50,000