Oil Filter And Oil Type For 92 Sc400

I was wondering if the SC400 needs synthetic oil or just regular 10w30? Also is there a difference in getting the filters from Toyota or jiffy lube or walmart or should I get them from Lexus? What is the best type of tire for the car thats good in heavy rains, the rear ones are almost done.

When does the timing belt need to be changed? 60 or 90K? Mine's got 131K miles so wondering if I should get it checked out.

Good Evening,

Lexus uses good 'ol normal oil. 10W30 recommended for older cars, or if you live in a warm climate.

Filters range from the cheap generic brands (~$3) to the premium specialty ones ($9-15). You get what you pay for. Generally, Toyota/Lexus filters are in the $5-7 range, and are very good at their job.

Tires are like shoes: What do you need them to do? We replaced our Michelin pilots with Toyo Proxes TPT after reading the reviews at 1010tire.com They are quieter, smoother, and less expensive.

Timing belt replacement is 90K. Strongly recommend the water pump as well, because you'll not want to pay the labor charge again to remove and replace the timing belt destroyed by a bad water pump. Also check the idler bearings.

Good Luck :D

I'm going to try using regular oil(10w40) and adding ONE quart of synthetic. There seems to be some possibility of leaks if you go all synthetic with an old car. Judging from the posts here, the Toyota filters are the best for the money.

For tires, Falken is number one in Consumer Reports, and also happens to be much cheaper than the competition.

I'm going to try using regular oil(10w40) and adding ONE quart of synthetic. There seems to be some possibility of leaks if you go all synthetic with an old car. Judging from the posts here, the Toyota filters are the best for the money.

For tires, Falken is number one in Consumer Reports, and also happens to be much cheaper than the competition.

WHEN WILL THIS MYTH GO AWAY ????

An engine will not leak more (or less) with synthetic oil than it will on petro type.

Use a good grade of synthetic and a non-Fram filter and don' fret.