Nakamichi Vs. Premium

Smooth Ride

OK, another newb question" On a 2000 LS400, has anyone listened to the 2 stereos back to back? How much difference was there in the; sound quality, volume, bass etc.

In other words, is it a big enough difference that I should pass up a LS400 if it doesn't have the Nak?

I don't need a car that goes "boom" to the whole neighborhood, but I do enjoy my bass. Also is one easier/better to upgrade than the other?

thanks,

Bruce

If you're going to upgrade it don't bother with the Nakamichi. I have heard them back to back and no question the Nakamichi is a better stereo, one of the best stock in any car.

For some reason very few 00s have the Nakamichi though.

Well SWO3ES, it looks like it's just you and me tonight. I appreciate your help, I have heard the Nak, but not the Premium. I'm holding out for a Plat. Ed. 2000, with the Nak, and chrome wheels if I can find it that way. I've seen a few w/ the Nak, but no chrome. I have time on my side, so I can afford to be a little picky, but I don't want to let a good example go by only to not find the "perfect car"

Do you know if there is any way that the NAV system can be easily modified to play DVD's?

Bruce

I don't think the Nak's and Nav go together, that's why you just see pioneers with the Navigation pkg. Levinson came to the rescue in 2001; with a premium stereo that would be compatible with Navigation.

I've got std Lexus Pioneer system, it was upgraded for the 98-00 models and is good.

I have a theory on this kind of thing: Like the Gen III pioneer system is equal to the Gen II Nakamichi systems.....so on an so forth. A friend of mine has the 97 Coach LS with Nak - I can't tell a difference..... ;)

I have a '99 LS with the standard system and I'm a little disappointed (Cd's sound pretty good but radio is mediocre at best). My previous '95 LS had the Nakimichi which I think was one of the best I've ever had (Cadillac DTS with Bose a close second). I wish I held out for a Nak.

Strangely, the door speakers in the Nak get fewer watts of power than the door speakers of the std Pioneer but the Nak speaker in the back window gets about 90 watts more than the one with the Pioneer. Personally I wish my car didn't have the Nak. I bought a telephone interface harness from Dashmount in the UK but found out it only works on the std Pioneer and Nav audio systems.

If I had the Pioneer or Nav, I could completely interface my Nokia car kit - mute the radio on a phone call, play the call through the door speakers, even power the phone kit from the amplifier under the front passenger seat - its "plug and play". I should sell the interface cable on "Buy and Sell" - somebody might like to use it.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, good replys. On the Lexus wesite, if you go to the home page and hit the search/FAQ and do a search here is what I cam up with:

What are the specifications for the LS 400 audio system 1998-2000 models?

1998-2000 STANDARD LEXUS PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM:

Development: Pioneer and Lexus developed this system

Manufacturer: Built to specification

Processing:

195 watt maximum power (1998)

215 watt maximum power (1999-2000)

5 channel digital amplifier

Automatic Sound Levelizer

Speakers (7):

(2) 1" 45 watt tweeters, mounted at top of front doors

(2) 5.5" 45 watt mid-range speakers in the front doors with bass reflex enclosures

(2) 5.5" 35 watt full-range speakers in the rear doors with bass reflex enclosures

(1) 7.8" 60 watt subwoofer mounted in the rear deck

Antennas:

Main antenna and diversity antenna in rear window

1998-2000 OPTIONAL NAKAMICHI PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM:

Development: Nakamichi and Lexus developed this system

Manufacturer: Built to specification

Processing:

280 watt maximum power

5 channel analog amplifier

Speakers (7):

(2) 1" 40 watt tweeters, mounted at top of front doors

(2) 5.5" 40 watt mid-range speakers in the front doors with enclosures

(2) 5.5" 40 watt full-range speakers in the rear doors with enclosures

(1) 7.8" 120 watt subwoofer mounted in the rear deck

Antennas:

Premium System = DIGITAL Amplifier, higher rated speakers 215 watts.

Nakamichi System = ANALOG Amplifier!? lower rated speakers, 280 watts.

Interesting facts.

No, you cannot get the nav with the nak. Thats why Lexus changed to Mark Levinson for their premium stereo, Nakamichi refused to allow their system to be routed through a navigation screen. It is also impossible to make the 98-00 nav play a DVD as its a hard drive based system, not a DVD system like the newer cars. You'd have to hook up a DVD player somewhere and add a TV tuner.

I wouldn't get too tangled up in the specs, its all in the sound. To me, and to most everyone I've talked to the Nakamichi sounds better. In fact it won a compero a while back in Car and Driver where they had Pavarotti or something testing car stereos lol.

I also wouldn't hold out for chrome wheels. Lexus doesn't usually ship their cars with chrome wheels on the east coast. Aftermarket chrome is easy enough to do.

Its all in the testing...

If you test the systems in a nice quite garage with the engine off and the windows rolled up then it will be very clear that the Mak is the better system.

If you do "real world" testing, wherein the ambient noise figure is typically ~70db (Lexus LS430) you will not be able to discern the differences, not even with fairly expensive and sophisticated audio analytical equipment.

Absent the latter being used to filter out the ambient and analyze only the reproduced content.

Its all in the testing...

If you test the systems in a nice quite garage with the engine off and the windows rolled up then it will be very clear that the Mak is the better system.

If you do "real world" testing, wherein the ambient noise figure is typically ~70db (Lexus LS430) you will not be able to discern the differences, not even with fairly expensive and sophisticated audio analytical equipment.

Absent the latter being used to filter out the ambient and analyze only the reproduced content.

my sentiments exactly!!

:cheers:

I've not tested the Pioneer vs Nak at speed but I get loaner ES' all the time with the standard pioneer system, I can DEFINATELY tell the difference in the sound quality, even when driving around, between them and my ES with Mark Levinson. The standard system sounds much flatter, has much less range and depth of sound.

It also depends on what you listen to, the Nak and ML systems are more tuned to instrumental and classical music where the pioneer is more tuned for rock and roll.

In all honesty if I were buying a new one I would pick the stereo but when buying used I wouldn't limit my choices because of the stereo. For a small amount of $$ you can do discreet upgrades to the Pioneer unit so it will sound just as good, or better, than the Nak. Niether the stereo nor the chrome wheels are worth limiting your choices as both can be dealt with after the sale. I'd concentrate on getting a well maintained Platinum with low miles in the color you want and not worry so much about the stereo. I know when I was shopping for CPO LS' the stereo really limited the selection.

"For a small amount of $$ you can do discreet upgrades to the Pioneer unit so it will sound just as good, or better, than the Nak. "

Agreed. I pulled that weak subwoofer from the prem system (2000 LS400). ...nice paperweight... and replaced it with a 10" JL AUDIO "free-air" mounted subwoofer (made a template/spacer to mount it to the 7.5" woofer mount) and powered it with a 275 watt Pioneer amp. mounted in the trunk

Sounds mighty mighty fine...really enhances the entire system which I felt was a very natural clean sounding system which was just totally lacking in mid to deep bass capacity. Bass very solid and tight now, and NO resonance from anything inside the car right up to the pain threshold. Very cost effective upgrade.

• 10 years later...

I just totaled my 1998 LS 400 LUXURY with the Nak, Saturday night. I'm so disappointed because I loved my car. Now I'm looking at another 03 LS 430 that has the Premium Sound System RDS. Does anyone know about the sound quality of this system?