First Impressions...sc400 - 160k Miles

Ok, I just got back from the dealer and took about a 10 minute drive around town. I knew the drive would be nothing like my VR6 Jetta, which is a 5 speed.

My first thoughts were, God this thing must be heavy! It was a little sluggish, and I dont know whether its the mileage or the weight of the vehicle, but based on what Id been reading on this board I thought it would be a little faster. I imagine its great on the highway at 80+ mph. It made me really want to see what the 5 speed SC300 was like.

Truth is though, the Jetta makes me want to go fast all the time because its so fun to scoot around, and since I just turned 25 and all my points are coming off my license next month, I dont need a car that will reinforce that type of behavior :D

I could feel the torque of the V8, and when I dropped it into Low 2 it responded well up the hills.

The car was very comfortable and will be great for long distances.

Now the bad.

1. The speddometer needle was blacked out and the temp needle was flickering. No idea how much new gueages will be to replace.

2. There is a large tear right in the crotch area of the passenger side front seat. The seats otherwise are pretty cracked up, but this IS an 11 year old car, I expected as much. Would love anyones recomendation on replacement of these skins.

3. The wood trim seems dull, not sure what to do about that, Id like to restore the interior as much as possible for a reasonable amount.

4. The steering wheel is very worn and cracked, wonder how much one of the wood grain looking ones Ive seen in some of the pics on here cost.

Otherwise things look good. The deal didnt try to BS me, well one of his salesmen did, but he came out and told me it probably needed a tuneup e.e. timing belt etc.

Im going to try to trade him my Jetta, which I owe $10k on and as little as possible, Im shooting for between $15-2500, I wont spend more than that. What I have going for me is that most of the cars at the lot are newer, lower miliage vehicles, Im living in a college town, and a 2000 Jetta VR6 is going to look better than a 93 SC400 with 160k miles and holes in the seats.

I think Im going to get a good deal, probably have to do the service and replace the interior peices. Am I dreaming to be able to get this stuff done for $1500 or less?

These seem as if they are pretty standard wear items, if anyone an approximate the replacement or refirbishing costs Id really appreciate.

Thanks. :cheers:

I picked mine up yesterday. 1992 SC400 with 131K miles. They put freon in the AC so its blowing cold now, not sure how long it'll last...maybe next week or maybe few months. The drive home was awesome, I actually had fun picking out a car in the distance and seeing how fast I could catch up...it was incredible.

Bonuses:

1. Didn't know it had premium sound system.

2. Didn't know it had a 12 CD changer in the trunk. I thought it probably would be a 6.

3. It had a phone built in in the center arm rest. It actually is on but ofcourse couldn't place any calls.

4. Its internally wired with a microphone on the driver side visor for cell phones.

Now for the fixes:

1. My front seat is torn on the sides...so I am in the same boat as you. Need some leather work on it.

2. The plastic AC vent in the center is cracked, no biggie but it would be nice to replace it.

3. Need new carpets for the floor, they are yellowing...maybe shampooing would help.

4. Fix the AC

Like Cbordeaux said, estimates would help.

Cheers!

Good Evening,

Welcome to SC-ownership.

There are many places to look for parts:

- eBay

- TAP recycling in California

- Right here in the forums

- The local Toyota dealership, if they will work with you

The needles can be replaced for as little as $99. The dealership is closer to $800, or more. The popular refurb place takes three days to turn your cluster.

The A/C system might be a low-cost fix. I replaced the receiver dryer and converted to R134a for around $125. It gets cold. You can just convert the gas, but because the compressor oils are not compatible, it's better long-term to replace the receiver-drier, recharge with new oil and gas.

There are places that do interior parts. The complete set of seat leather can be had for around $650, and a steering wheel recover from $159-350.

Part of the decision on how to fix your car will be how long you can be without driving it while the parts are baing refurbished.

Look in the forums about common problems and their fixes. It prevents lots of frustration