Steel rims for winter

rustynut

I just joined this group.  I have on order a 2023 GX460.  My unit is the base model and the color is metallic black.  I am trying to discover what rim choices I have for winter rims.  I live deep in the rust belt and the original rims would look awful in a couple years.  I have spent a few hours on this mission and am no further ahead than when I started.  I have not received an answer from Lexus at this stage and I have not talked to my parts store.  At this stage I am almost convinced I will end up with 17 inch Tacoma rims and tires that match the factory size.   I want good rims but do not want to pay crazy prices for this.

From what I have been able to learn my factory rims are 18 X 7.5 inch, bolt pattern is 6X139.7 (or 5.5"), the center hub is 106.1mm, lug nuts M12.5x1.5.  I have no idea about offset.

The order is said to take from 6-12 months.  That is all I have.  Six months would be perfect, going out till 9 months is fine, but if I get the new vehicle in the dead of winter 2023/24 this is not a good thing.  And I would want the rims and tires on hand if this was the end result.  I think winter/snow tires are a must, we get a lot of ice around here and have more than our share of bad drivers.

What experience does the group have on this?  

Are you in New Jersey or Canada? tirerack.com has tire and wheel packages. There is a separate category for Winter tires and wheels. You would choose the four tires, then select qty of 4 wheels and a couple of options. I believe the tire/wheel package includes the tires mounted to the wheels and balanced.

Many vehicle drivers in the snow belt of states here in the US keep an extra set of winter tires and wheels that they swap on for snow season. Many do the swap, themselves.

I frequent this web site.  They are a good source for information but must be careful.  Lexus wants $4500 or so for a wheel/tire package.  Not my style, pay them that kind of money for $125 rims and I get wholesale tires.

The trailer hitch is another expensive trap for the unwary.

I hope you don't buy super-cheap tires for a vehicle like that. 😏

Then again, you can go the used route with wheels and tires. I've bought used Enkei wheels before and still have them. 

I am hours into this rim situation and still scratching my head a little.  The basic story here is I have cancer and this vehicle is a motivation for me to stay engaged and a reward for coming out of the cancer.  So this exercise is working in that respect.  I have my operation in 4 days so light at the end of the tunnel on the cancer front.

I can say that 17 inch rims will work just fine, but most alloy rims are 17x9 and these are a bit too wide, will work but good chance the tires will rub and I don't want to lift or cut the vehicle.  I can find no alloy rims narrower than 17x8 while factory is 17x7.5.  So this leaves takeoff Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner rim and this is not a bad option.

In the steel rim front I still have not got to my wholesale auto parts store but might go in today.  I cannot just call because I can barely talk and people have trouble understanding what I am saying.  A company named Black Rock Series 997 makes a steel rim but they are out of stock for months going forward.  My normal source would be Dorman but cannot seem to find a rim that would work from them yet!

So this is my story at the present time.

I'm sorry to see what you are going through, Jimmie. It looks like you are limited to local tire shops and maybe used wheels-by-owner.

Have you perused Toyota forums to see if there are any for sale?