Redesign Coming?

arizonasteve

I am considering buying a GX470. During the test drive I found the power acceptable but nothing special. I heard of the 2005 model will have a larger engine but would not be introduced untl DEC 2004. I'd like to know if this is correct.

• 5 weeks later...
I am considering buying a GX470. During the test drive I found the power acceptable but nothing special. I heard of the 2005 model will have a larger engine but would not be introduced untl DEC 2004. I'd like to know if this is correct.

is the new engine a 270 hp one??? that's what i heard somewhere!?!?!? :unsure:

Hello,

I just spoke with my service manager Friday and he stated the 2005 models are already on the ships headed for the state. He also stated there were no major changes for 2005. Hope this helps! :)

hate to say it, but sometimes i hate those sales people, they usually don't tell the truth. once i bought a car a long time ago, i asked if the redesign is coming, person said "no" but the next year or 2 came around, A NEW ONE, REDESIGNED and BIGGER ENGINE CAME OUT!!!! that's why i never trust those sales people. they won't say anything about the future plans becuz it means no sales for them, they can lose the sale to another person if they don't sell to you NOW, u might go to another person someday when the new redesigns come out, so it's always about the $$$ when it comes to sales. :chairshot:

It's always about the sales. Car companies are in the business to make money and so are the salesmen. The '04 GX is a wonderful car despite some of the comments contained in this forum. I have driven mine for 2700 miles without any problems. The A/C works fine here in the deep south. There is no clunk in the drive shaft and the car handles absolutely fine. We drove the car on a 600 mile trip averaging 80 MPH and the car averaged over 17 miles per gallon using "regular" GAS (WHICH THE MANUAL SAYS IS JUST FINE TO USE). The wind noise is very acceptable as well (try driving any other truck to prove the point). I have an '04 ls430 and an '02 SC430 - they are both quieter, but not appreciably).

If your decision to buy a car depends on what the following year's equipment is, then you will always be waiting to buy a car. Cars change every year and that's what keeps our interest in buying cars going.

You won't get the good deals that you could experience waiting for the '05's so spring for the car now in my opinion.

I have owned over 10 SUV's in my life including the LX470, Fords, GM's, Chevy's, Isuzus and this one is pure fun! We are scaling down in life and I like the smallness of the car while enjoying a much larger SUV feel. I took it in the steep mountains with sharp curves and the car performed excellently - but I am an excellent driver.

Hope this helps. :D

I have to agree with EBROWN, in that I have not had any of the problems some people state here. And I look forward to it staying that way, I am sure Lexus would agree with that. :)

But, as far as model year changes, "proceed with caution". Perhaps I have it wrong, when I was shopping around for the GX late last year, I found something very confusing. Did Lexus add some of the model year feature changes AFTER the release of the model year INTRO. Or where the new models delayed until late November with the 2004 being introduced at that time? I did not understand why Lexus did this, but it is annoying and probably upsetting to those who got "blind-sided" by the late intro of the new features. If my perception is wrong, I look forward to somebody correcting me.

The 2004 Lexus GX470 brochure footnotes the fact that options like the backup camera and KDSS would not be available until the November 2003 build. I think the brochure was available about this time last year. If I was thinking about a 2005 GX, I would wait to see the new brochure (and any footnotes) before ordering. IMO, it's the best source for information on features and options.

• 2 weeks later...
the gx wont be introduced until dec. i dont think that will have the bigger engine they will package it in with the kdss suspension in a sport type version sometime in 05

The 2005 GX470's are on the ships on the way to the US right now. They should be in dealers hands by the end of September. I've confirmed with three different dealers that they do have a retuned engine (VVT) in them. They also are supposed to have the newer Bluetooth enabled audio systems. They didn't know if they had added the "Lexus Night View" feature from the 2005 LX470, or the high intensity headlights of the 2005 LX and RX models. The dealers do seem to think that there will be a higher percentage of 2005 GX470's with KDSS.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2005 GX470's are on the ships on the way to the US right now.  They should be in dealers hands by the end of September.  I've confirmed with three different dealers that they do have a retuned engine (VVT) in them.

Well, with the advantage of hindsight, I guess we know THAT didn't happen. :)

The latest issue of Motor Trend has a truck/suv buyers guide that states that the base engine for 2005 will remain the 235 HP 4.7L one that we have now. Sometime later in the 05 model year, a special "sport version" will be introduced that will come standard with the KDSS as well as a 270 hp version of the 4.7L engine

here's some info guyz....

GX470

¨ Launch timing: November L/O

¨ Engine: VVT-i V8 (hp is 270 and torque is 330 lb. ft.)

¨ OBD modification (U-LEV II)

¨ Bluetooth included as part of NAVI system

¨ Gen 4 NAVI

¨ Voice commands added for HVAC and enhanced voice commands for audio (for vehicles equipped with NAVI only)

¨ Advanced airbags (Front Passenger) system

¨ EPA guide lifted on tow hitch and KDSS

¨ Addition of Sport Package

Ø Sport package Exterior colors: Silver, Ash Blue, Blue Meridian, Black

Ø Sport package Interior colors: Gray and Ivory

Ø Total Package price = ~$1,921

*Sport Package includes*

KDSS

Smoked bezel headlamps

Smoked bezel fog lamps

Black Pearl emblems, front and back

Dark graphite 17" alloys

Dark graphite roof rack

Dark tinted back up lense

Chrome license plate garnish (TBD)

Chrome oval exhaust tip (TBD)

Black Bird's Eye Maple door trim, steering wheel, dash, and A/T shift knob, and finisher

Ivory interior comes with black upper I/P

here's some info guyz....

GX470

¨ Launch timing: November L/O

¨ Engine: VVT-i V8 (hp is 270 and torque is 330 lb. ft.)

¨ OBD modification (U-LEV II)

¨ Bluetooth included as part of NAVI system

¨ Gen 4 NAVI

¨ Voice commands added for HVAC and enhanced voice commands for audio (for vehicles equipped with NAVI only)

¨ Advanced airbags (Front Passenger) system

¨ EPA guide lifted on tow hitch and KDSS

Does that mean that the 270 hp version of the 4.7 will be standard in all versions of the 05 GX? The Motor Trend guide states that the 235 will be standard, with the 270 hp version as an option with the sport package.

The district operations manager told me that the '05 would be here in December '04 and that the engine will be 15bhp larger than the prior engine. He also said that priices will not be released until the vehicles actually hit the dock. Does anyone know what the base price increase is expected to be on an '04? I also was told that there was a price decrease on existing '04s.

more updates of 05:

Tire Pressure Warning System will be standard

Cruise Control parameters changed

KDSS will still be optional but now get its input from skid control ECU (used to be from steering angle sensor)

Guage Cluster will add KDSS and RSCA (side curtain airbag) lights

Engine 4.7L

Compression ratio will get bump from 9.6:1 to 10.0:1

Redling increase from 5200 to 5700rpm

270HP @ 4500rpm

330 torque @ 3400rpm

VVT-i system added

ACIS (acoustic control induction system) 2 stage lengths intake manifold (found in most toyotas)

AI (Air Injection) For faster light up of catalytic converter during start up.

4 Oil Jets to cool pistons added

Redesigned Light Weight Throttle Body

Intake manifold material changed to plastic

Brake master cylinder changed to dual pistons (propably for better pedal feel and for other stability control enhancements)

Navigation System same as Prius and LX470 w/ bluetooth

Front passenger 2 stage air bag with occupant classification sensor

Plus hundreds of small changes (mostly electrical) on the 05.

For more information visit http://techinfo.toyota.com/