• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That would be awesome to own a car like that straight out of uniiversity! Don't you have to pay off student debts?! If I negated my student debt load, I might have enough money to buy a used S2000 straight out :P Debt sucks :(

Regards,

Bryan

It would be completely useless in my Canadian wniters too. But, if you have the money to fork out for a brand new S2000, then you should have enough money for a winter car as well.

The cheap summer thrill for me is motorcycles . . . much cheaper, and much faster. Even my little 250cc ninja can outaccelerate most cars on the road. It has 25hp and weighs only 400 lbs and can do the 1/4 mile in like 14.5 seconds or something (while getting 75 mpg). I can only dream of trying my buddy's Suzuki GSXR-1000 . . . 150hp and only 400 lbs!!! The fastest stock bike you can buy . . . insane!

Regards,

Bryan

Wow! That would be awesome to own a car like that straight out of uniiversity! Don't you have to pay off student debts?! If I negated my student debt load, I might have enough money to buy a used S2000 straight out :P Debt sucks :(

Regards,

Bryan

I'm an in-state student at a state university (University of Delaware), so my tuition is only about $6k/year. I have a few scholarships, I chip in $1k/year and my parents foot the rest. I have no loans and will be debt free coming out of college, thankfully. Then I'll be moving home for 1-2 years to save money so I can buy a car and maybe even buy a condo/townhouse, and I should be starting out making from $40-45k/year before overtime, so I figure I can probably afford a $25-35k car since I will have little to no expenses while living with my parents.

And I would love a gs430 but I can't afford something like that. If I could, I'd probably get an m3 anyway (remember coupe coupe coupe :)).

Personally, it drives me nuts when I see parents buying cars for their kids.  To me, this does not teach them responsibility.  If my parents bought me my car, it wouldn't mean nearly as much to me.  This is just my opinion.  Maybe it's just jealousy speaking :P

I'm not irresponsible! lol I'm 17(almost 18), and I have 2 Lexi- '94 ES300(first car-June '03) and '95LS400(second-March '04)- that my parents bought for me. I have more respect(and enjoyment) for those two cars than one could fathom. I perform all of the maintinance, detailing, etc because I want to and enjoy doing it. Just because someone buys some expensive things for their son doesn't mean that the he won't appreciate them. I work 50+ hours a week during summers, and I think I've been working since I was like 12(mowing lawns)! Trust me, I know how to work hard and appreciate the things I buy and recieve, and I take nothing for granted. ;) How do you know that your ES would be worthless if your parents had bought it for you? Likewise, I wouldn't know if my Lexi would mean even more to me had I shelled out the duckets for them...I'm just saying it's a bold statement for an unknown. ;)

I chose the ES for it's dazzling front profile(mainly the projectors!), superb reilability, V6, excellent interior, prestige, comfy ride, and quality, quality, quality. Everyone here had prestige in the back of their mind when getting their Lexus; otherwise, a Civic (it's roomy, fuel efficient, reliable, high quality, and a hell of a lot cheaper than an ES) would do.

Tundra...what was your deciding factor for the ES(i'm curious because it almost seems like you are dissatisfied with your ES)?...other than dependability because Lexus isn't the only auto maker that makes reliable, well crafted cars! :D

Hey Blake,

I guess my statement was a littl too broad. Sorry about that. Yeah, there are people who have cars bought for them and appreciate them, but all too often I see parents buying their kids $30,000 cars and these snobby kids don't even appreciate it. And quite often, these kids haven't worked an hour in their entire lives. That is what irritates me.

It's good to hear that you know the value of a dollar . . . that is the important thing :)

I've got about the same kind of tuition to pay as you do, but it is all the other expenses that kill me. Insurance ($3500/yr), gas, car maintenance, health nd dental, room and board, food, etc. etc. etc. Being a student sucks . . . spending al this money while making little :(

Regards,

Bryan

I'm 32.

I remember back in the days when the ES300 first came out I wanted one...but wasn't making much money then.

94-03: Nissan Maxima

03-04: Acura MDX & Acura 3.2TL

04: Acura MDX & 2001 ES300

I wish back when I was a teenager they had used Lexuses I could afford!

If you must know...

I bought mine because after owning, and driving just about every make in the past, I found that Toyota has been the best and my personal favorite.

I didn't however buy it by choice! I have recently been through a divorce, and my ex took the 4Runner along with everything else. I was left with my dear Tundra which I love, and went to court several times over my daughter etc etc... lost my house etc etc.... Big sob story, but I ended up needing to sell the Tundra recently and had to buy something cheaper, and better on fuel to drive back and forth to California. I wanted a four door Tacoma but they were to much money, and the closest thing without fourwheel drive, and a bed was a Toyota car. I needed something with the same creature comforts, and something I was familiar with to work on and take care of. The Camry's here sucked, and I didn't fit in the Older Runners, or Corolla's. So I looked for an ES 300 because the rear drive GS, and LS were not good in the bad snow here. NOT for prestige!

I found many other cars that were faster, funner, more luxurious, and better condition. But I know Toyota's! I love them, and they have been in the family for years. I've always had great resale value, and have close friends that work for Toyota/Lexus, as well as body shops. I know how well they are put together, and look forward to the day I can sell my ES for another Tundra in a couple years.

This is a great site, and I've been on similar sites for my other vehicles. We all need a little help every now and then. If it helps some guy save some grief and money, its well worth checking the posts. I think most of the people on this site are so young because of the whole computer fright thing. Many of the older people that have these cars are not always computer savey? Some are, but see a car as simple transportation and will fix it when it breaks. I'm just a truck guy out of my element in need of more car knowledge.

I guess my statement was a littl too broad.  Sorry about that.  Yeah, there are people who have cars bought for them and appreciate them, but all too often I see parents buying their kids $30,000 cars and these snobby kids don't even appreciate it.  And quite often, these kids haven't worked an hour in their entire lives.  That is what irritates me.

Bryan, no hard feelings here at all!! :D I just wanted to say that eventhough I have two Lexus keys on my key chain, I'm not a spoiled brat, and I can and do work hard! I also see what you're saying about kids with brand new cars not appreciating them at all...quite disgusting! :angry:

If you must know...

I must(lol), and thanks for sharing! :D

:cheers:

Im 16.. :)

97 ES 300 ! 59xxx

Bought for 8,500 :)

Excellent..well Perfect Condition. Older man owned the car, and cared for it like a child. Waxed, and polished it. Washed it once a week,and condition the leather since new.. +Synthetic every 2.9k

After reading the other posts... It took me 3 years of saving my money from work to buy this car.. Paid in cash, and was a done deal. Bought it about 4 months ago.

Ill be 17 in about 3 months..so not actually 3 years...I saved my money for about 2 years to buy the car...been at the same job now for almost 3.. Making 10.50$/hr as office staff at Publix Inc.

Tundra,

Now I know why your name is Tundra Lover :P I always wondered about your name when you are on a Lexus Board . . . it all makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation, and sorry about all the crap that you have been having to endure over the last while. You'll have your Tundra again soon enough :)

Blake,

Good to hear that you are a hard worker. I respect people who work hard, and I understand your situation :)

LivinLrge,

Congrats on your purchase! I remember buying my first car with all that hard-earned money . . . what an accomplishment! All of those years of work and saving finally paying off :) I think you got a great deal on the car by the way. Enjoy it!

Regards,

Bryan