Worked my way up none of this 17 year olds with Lexuses.

yea Pops, cus my generation doesnt know what work is... :rolleyes:

I am 16 and I paid cash that I earned for my lexus. And in a few years, its not even going to be hard to get what I paid or more for it...sounds like an investment, not just a flashy car...even if it is your first.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teens driving Lexus? Oh my Lord! I drove Honda Civic (USED) when I was your age.:chairshot:

Honda Civic? I didn't move up to that level until I was in graduate school (1986 Civic with close to 100 K miles).

My first car was a 1950 Austin, but I never go it running. My first real car was a 62 Chrysler (about 12 years old when I started driving).

I guess I'm the old man on this board.....just turned 72 this June.

Does this mean I get more respect. hee hee :P

You know what they say: "With age comes wisdom" double hee hee B)

Worked my way up none of this 17 year olds with Lexuses.

I just turned 20.

FYI: It doesn't matter how old you are when you get a Lexus. :rolleyes: Who said they are only for middle-aged people? I think the ES300 can definitely be a teen's (or college student's) car, esp. the second and third generations, not so much the current generation. But regardless of what year it is, all that really matters is that Lexuses are not just for certain age groups. I think it's irritating when ppl make comments like this, saying that "kids" don't deserve Lexuses because they have to work their way up in the world. As long as I'm paying for my car, it should not make me any different from anyone else. ;)

im 20.

cars:

87 ford tarus station wagon...

95 Buick Century Custom. this had a weird engine in it. I bought it from the State of Michigan. they had some wierd lookin 2.8 L in there. Kinda fast for a Buick

then got sick of the domestic crap

got this 96 ES. Everyone knows its no ferrari. but its certainly a smart investment, and a satisfying hobbie.

NeiLtYmE-

95 Buick Century Custom. this had a weird engine in it.

The 2.8 liter engine was the bigger engine offered in this car. It was also an option in the Oldsmobiles. Just a little trivia. :D

NeiLtYmE-
95 Buick Century Custom. this had a weird engine in it.

The 2.8 liter engine was the bigger engine offered in this car. It was also an option in the Oldsmobiles. Just a little trivia. :D

it was a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder... and a 3.1 litre v6.....

im almost sure there was never a 2.8 for those models...

I'm 28.

This has been interesting to read, more young people than I thought.

I'm also interested to hear the coments. like: people buying the car because of its "prestige?" It's the most rediculous :censored: thing I've heard! That is the one thing I've not like about owning my ES 300- every time I tell someone what it is, they think it's some expensive tricked out car? It's a nice car, and I would hope that people bought it for a better reason than prestige.

Most of us have had to work hard for our first form of transportation, and to have a car like ours first should be seen as fortunate. I grew up poor, and had to find alternate forms of transportation, as well as ride my bike to work and school. A car was seen as luxury to me.

In my little mind, our cars should be seen as dependable, strong runners with a long track record. I've had many cars since the early days, and the last few (no I'm not going to list them) have happily been Toyota and will be till my eighties! I'll get off my soap box now.

Hey Tundra,

There is nothing wrong with considering prestige when purchasing a car. Really, what other reason is there to buy a Rolls-Royce? It's not quality that you are buying there . . .

I agree with you that it is absurd to purchase a car based on prestige alone (unless money is no barrier to you). I bought my Lexus first and foremost because of it's excellent history and reviews. The ES300/Camry are known to be very reliable machines, which was what I was after. Now, I also wanted a car with leather interior really bad, which is why I opted for the ES300 over the Camry. Besides which, I don't think the Camry looks nearly as nice as the ES300 either.

Now, prestige also played a role in my deicision; however, it wasn't my primary concern. I love the fact that I am driving a Lexus, and am proud of it. And why shouldn't I be?! I worked freaking long hours in my high school days. In the summers I would work 75-hour weeks on flex time so that I could earn extra money on overtime. Some days I would go in to work at 3:00AM and not leave until 11:00PM . . . only to start work again bright and early the next day. So yes, you aren't the only person that must work for what they get. Now, I also don't agree with gloating . . . I'll never tell someone I drive a Lexus, cause I don't want them to think I am a snob (and I'm not!)

Personally, it drives me nuts when I see parents buying cars for their kids. To me, this does not teach them responsibility. If my parents bought me my car, it wouldn't mean nearly as much to me. This is just my opinion. Maybe it's just jealousy speaking :P

Regards,

Bryan

Just be proud about your Lexus tundra :) You worked hard for it, so you can be proud. . . it is the fruit of your efforts. Although there are many many much more expensive cars out there, the ES is well-made and economical (from a Luxury point of view).

I think the Rolls costs a lot more than 100k . . . more like 350-500k . . . an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to spend on a car. That kind of money would get you a really sweet house in my parts. But, if someone makes millions a year, I guess they could afford it.

Although the Rolls isn't my kind of car, you almost have to respect it when you see it at the autoshow. Did anyone else see the new Rolls Silver Seraph? Holy cow! That thing is one huge beast, and due to the fibreglass construction, they managed to keep it around 4500 lbs. I would love to try driving that beast around town to see what kind of looks it gets :lol:

Regards,

Bryan

I'm 21, I bought my ES about 14 months ago for $6k on the nose with the money I'd saved waiting tables for 4+ years part time and full time during summers. Before that I had a 96 Chevy Corsica that my parents got a deal on (company car auction, got it for $4k under KBB value). My brother and I shared that in high school and my first two years of college before I bought my ES last year.

I'll be graduating next May with a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering and plan on buying a new car in the fall next year (once I'm working full time). I know it's early, but I've been thinking about a 350Z, an s2000, or an IS if they put out a coupe version in the 05 or 06 model year. Whatever it is, its going to be a coupe and its going to be fast. :)

I know I'll probably be leaving Lexus for a while next year, unless they come through with the IS for me, but I expect to come back when I start to settle down (maybe an LS or SC if I'm lucky ;) ).

33 here...34 in October! :)

1989 - 1974 VW Bus

1990 - 1981 VW Rabbit

1991 - 1991 Acura Integra LS

1996 - 1996 Nissan Maxima SE

2004 - 1999 Lexus ES 300 Coach :)

Slowly but surely I'm moving up in the world! Haha :)

Skeemer wrote

but I've been thinking about a 350Z, an s2000, or an IS if they put out a coupe version in the 05 or 06 model year. Whatever it is, its going to be a coupe and its going to be fast.

hMm.......i'd stick with the lexus and get a gs 430 [= but then that's me

it's nice hearing someone that actually saved up money to buy their own car

power to you