Air Intake Question

i just recently tried to replace the air filter with a performance air intake filter made for an IS300 and custom piping. when i replaced the air filter, the engine light came on. now i placed the stock filter/pipe the light remained on. how do i reset it? and is there a way to upgrade without setting some sort of sensor off?

• 4 months later...
i knwo this is kind of late but........ did u feel a difference with the is intake, or is the same crap as the ones made for es B)

I hate to tell you that you are problem losing horse power and just getting some sound by removing your intake. long ago are the days when removing you intake gave you performance gains. the shape and size of the box is engineered to supply air in a quit and efficient way. The resent frequencies are taken into account to give you positive pressure as much as possible. when you remove the stock air box and add a pipe that was not engineered by anyone with equipment you are losing the hole design that went into make that box as efferent as possible. OEMs spent lots of money to make that air box and I can tell you that none of the aftermarket co. put that much research and money to making there intake.

and as far as dino graphs they mean very little because you must remember who is making the graphs the co that is trying to sell the intake

post-7070-1101940506_thumb.jpg

I guess it all depends on if you have one or not as well as a company that invests R&D into their products

I have made 7 designs of mine changing mulitple parts to get the best possible dyno power.

I have improved gas milage as little if anyone can get 600km out of a tank of gas in their ES still carrying an extra few hundred pounds of crap around.

read the faq for details on good and bad

I guess it all depends on if you have one or not as well as a company that invests R&D into their products

I have made 7 designs of mine changing mulitple parts to get the best possible dyno power.

I have improved gas milage as little if anyone can get 600km out of a tank of gas in their ES still carrying an extra few hundred pounds of crap around.

read the faq for details on good and bad

Your car has a computers that takes feedback from different components and adjusts the fuel to air ratio. to much air and your mixture leans out and you get pining and you engine will run excessively hot and destroy it;s self. to little air and you mixture becomes over saturated and you ruin you cat and o2 sensor and have an extra build up of carbon. so you computer works to keep this mixture the same depending on load and rpm.

So when you add an intake maybe you get more air but if you do you car will add more gas and u will get a little more power. But there is no way your gas mileage will improve. you are using more gas.

Maybe I am wrong and if you can show me I will admit it but I worked in a shop of 4 years and there was an old mechanic that used to laugh as some of the stuff I did like intakes and stuff like that. after he explained this to me it made sense to me.

I read on howstuffworks.com that there is just a tiny drop of gasoline for the air. So if air is packed very tight you get more bang out of it and so you move farther from that explosion. So in a 5 liter cylinder you can stick a whole lot of air and explode it wit the gasoline!! So that's what nitrous does, its better then air becuase you can get more in there + it cools engine as well.

Here it is: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

I read on howstuffworks.com that there is just a tiny drop of gasoline for the air. So if air is packed very tight you get more bang out of it and so you move farther from that explosion. So in a 5 liter cylinder you can stick a whole lot of air and explode it wit the gasoline!! So that's what nitrous does, its better then air becuase you can get more in there + it cools engine as well. 

Here it is: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

my point was that there is a tiny drop of gas but that gas is still kept in proportion so you are still using more gas to get more power. only reason I am bringing this up is because most people say they put there intake on to get better gas mileage.

also nitrous works by cooling the air. cooler air is more dense so you can fit more air in. with the more air that is packed in you add more fuel and you get more power. if you do not add that extra fuel you will blow up you engine. with every 10 degrease F that the tem of the air drops you get around 2% more hp.

sry to say this to all of u other guys...... but of all the opposing views.......

The ONLY one i view as credible is skperformance.....

give u props man.........

lol ok maybe i think others are credible but i take his opinion most ogf the time... :D

Thanks for the backing ,but i even know i am not always right and am much happier to know i was wrong and learn more.

Your only as smart as you are stupid.

lmao

this one i have alot of physical evidence to prove the facts no guess work

not to second guess your work but can you post you dino results? If you have infact come up with intake that can improve everything please share more information so the rest of us could benefit from your research. Many of the dino results I have seen when it comes to intakes are missing a lot of info like temp barometric pressure and humidity that make a big difference on results. also computer trends play a large part in there dino results when was the last time the computer was reset what has the computer had time to learn.

The dino at the shop I work at is for emissions only and it can not be used to measure horse power, but I do have a way to measure it by computer which is the graph I posted before.

If i post any of the information i have

what is it going to do,change your mind about technology

make you want to go and buy one ,or look for something to try and pick apart

I spend way too much time on LOC on a daily basis looking over hundreds of posts answering as much as possible to help owners save time money and sanity.

I have nothing to prove anymore and am quite tired of telling anyone what to elive or disbelevie. Forgive me for my ranting but i am really annoyed to have to explain almost everything because some are misinformed by a mechanic who works on 66 doge's for his/her life, Changes oil and think they know a damn thing about a car .

Sorry but to have some one always saying what do you know all the time has really gotten on my nerves.

I went to college for automotive technition apprentice then went for a buisness degree at university to make it work for me.

I know work for Mercedes as an inspector for headoffice.

I am tired of proving anything ,i don't need to.

You want come down to Toronto spend the $350 and i will make you a custom one then you can find out .

The discussion was certainly interesting. However, I feel it is largely irrelevant unless: 1. the cold air intake has a larger MAF; and, 2. a free flow exhaust has been installed to allow the increased intake to actually move into and through the engine.