Sunroof 2003 Rx330

allie29445

Has anyone had a problem with their sunroof making a dragging/slipping noise when opening? This happens only at the very start of the open/close or tilt open/close. I have noticed it happens when it is very hot outside, above 80/85 or so. The hotter it is and the longer it has sat in the sun, the louder the noise and the longer is lasts. It appears that the seal may be swelling and causing it to drag. I took it to the dealer, and he said he heard the same noise on two other cars on the lot (not just RX330's) , but was still unable to diagnose the cause. I also live where it is extremely humid, so this may be a factor. This week it was noticeable every day (we were in the high 90's) but today it dropped to 75 and no noise.

Hello

I bought my RX just over a month ago and mine does this too.

I've also noticed the LOUD acoustic noise if you open the back windows on the highway. It doesn't bother me, but that could cause someone a serious accident and liability for the company. Maybe they should put a warning in the book about that or something?

Do you have a problem around your instrumentation cluster with noise? If you touch the dash or guages, it makes a loud noise. If the sun hits the dash, it ticks as this piece of plastic expands and contracts. They're going to fix this at 5k checkup, but I figured it must be a common issue.

I love the car, and the service has been fantastic. (brand new dealership in nearby Massachusetts). We tried a dealer in Rhode Island, but they were terrible.

Mike

:D

I don't have any of the noises with the front instrumentation or panel that you mentioned. The noise you get when roll down the back windows will go away if you roll down the front windows just a bit. I have always had this problem with any four door car I have had. I am sure it has to do with the air pressure/circulation, but I am no engineer, so beyond that I can't explain it.

I bought the car in the spring and the noise with the sunroof didn't come up till summer hit along with our heat and humidity.

Thanks for your response.

I don't have any of the noises with the front instrumentation or panel that you mentioned. The noise you get when roll down the back windows will go away if you roll down the front windows just a bit. I have always had this problem with any four door car I have had. I am sure it has to do with the air pressure/circulation, but I am no engineer, so beyond that I can't explain it.

I bought the car in the spring and the noise with the sunroof didn't come up till summer hit along with our heat and humidity.

Thanks for your response.

Theres a thread all about this here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...howtopic=11078&

Thanks for the thread link, but the noise I am hearing is not pressure or wind, it is definately mechanical or rubber seal related. I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions as it is driving me crazy not being able to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Allie :D

Try using a spray-on silicone lubricant such as CRC. This is safe for rubber and lubes the gasket. I use this around all our car doors to both extend the life of the gasket and to keep the gasket from freezing to the door in winter due to moisture. I have noticed that the gasket sometimes stuck on mine and would make a monemtary pop when opened. I sprayed a cloth with silicone spray and wiped it on and fixed it. Note, I am not referring to WD-40, but a pure silicone lube spray. Most automotive stores will have it.

• 3 years later...
Has anyone had a problem with their sunroof making a dragging/slipping noise when opening? This happens only at the very start of the open/close or tilt open/close. I have noticed it happens when it is very hot outside, above 80/85 or so. The hotter it is and the longer it has sat in the sun, the louder the noise and the longer is lasts. It appears that the seal may be swelling and causing it to drag. I took it to the dealer, and he said he heard the same noise on two other cars on the lot (not just RX330's) , but was still unable to diagnose the cause. I also live where it is extremely humid, so this may be a factor. This week it was noticeable every day (we were in the high 90's) but today it dropped to 75 and no noise.

There's a Technical Service Bulletin (00105), NHTSA Item Number 10018267 that addresses those symptoms. The TSB Summary reads "Grinding/groaning noise from the moon roof when tilting or opening".

I've applied silicone spray and silicone grease to every moving/sliding part I could get my fingers on to no avail.

Has anyone had this TSB performed on their RX330? My out-of-warranty 2004 RX330 has the exact symptoms.

Does anyone have the detailed TSB that they could post?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an RX330 roo4 and today when opening the moon roof it ground and then I believe broke! It is jammed now. I am away from home so not sure what to do myslef. I will call a dealer tomorow, Since it is out of warranty I dont plan on paying a lot to fix so will go to the best offer near me. Here is the TSB. does that meant they will still fix it (if out of warranty)?

TSB No.: 00105 NHTSA No.: 10018267 TSB Date: March 31, 2005 Date Added to File: December 20, 2005

Failing Component:

Visibility:Sun Roof Assembly

Summary:

Grinding/groaning noise from the moon roof when tilting or opening.

I have a 2002 RX300 AWD, and mine did that too! so, you can try and oil it, it worked for me! but i like in mass, so there could be a difference

• 1 month later...

There's a Technical Service Bulletin (00105), NHTSA Item Number 10018267 that addresses those symptoms. The TSB Summary reads "Grinding/groaning noise from the moon roof when tilting or opening".

I've applied silicone spray and silicone grease to every moving/sliding part I could get my fingers on to no avail.

Has anyone had this TSB performed on their RX330? My out-of-warranty 2004 RX330 has the exact symptoms.

I'll print out the tsb tomorrow when I get to work. The cables need to be changed. Not hard just time consuming. you have to drop the headliner and remove the moonroof assembly

3.9 hours of labor .... cha-ching. TSB is attached.

RX330TSB_NV001_05.PDF

• 2 years later...

Just took my 2004 RX330 (build date 10/03, in-service date 11/03, mileage 50,500) to the dealer with this moonroof grinding/groaning noise on the list of junk that I think shouldn't be happening to a Lexus. They confirmed the problem ("verified sunroof cable and track contamination") and recommended "replace sliding roof assemlby [sic] with motor. (found sliding roof assembly excessively noisy.)" at a cost of $2,319.18. No mention of a TSB or consideration for this Lexus owner.

The service writer asked if I used the moonroof alot. What constitutes "alot"? Is there a warning in the manual about use of the moonroof?

Searching this board afterwards, unfortunately, revealed TSB for the moonroof grinding/groaning with warranty of 48 mons or 50,000 miles which excludes my vehicle.