1991 Ls400 Clank When Put Into Reverse

xjr1

When put into reverse there is a clank...Seems to go into reverse allright and then a secondary slight clank...To a novice it seems like a loose ujoint worn type noise..Help..

my 94 LS with 166k does the exact same thing. it happens when shifting from R to D -or- from D to R. i am 100% sure it is NOT coming from the front calipers or anything up front. it is definatly coming from the rear end of the car. it almost seems like something is loose in the rear diffy, like there is some play between something internal.

oo if it is a worn u-joint get it fixed fast. i am in the proccess of fixing a dodge van that when you shifted in to gear or got on or off the throttle there was a mean metalic clank. and a day after i looked at it to see what was wrong the trans yolk cracked in to two on the road. cost the guy 500 to tow and well i jsut had the drive shaft made costing 300 and i will probably charge 200 to put it in because i had to run around and arrange everything. so moral of the lesson is when it comes to drive shaft failure it can cost upwards to a 1000 bucks so get it checked out.

i had the same problem about a year ago......it started out as clunking when putting it D, or R. it then gradually started to make the sound as i was driving and would give it gas at low rpm.

but i have good news!!!!!!!!!!! its NO BiG DEAL :lol::lol:

its a 30 dollar rubber bushing that has worn out in the rear end......cost me 60 dollars to have my mechanic replace it.......

:cheers: