Sc400 Suspension

SCDAN

I recently did the 60K mile service on my sc400. Prior to this, I had a rattling noise comming from the suspension when going over potholes. I't does'nt always do it, but the lexus dealer could'nt find anything wrong. Has anyone expereinced a similar problem? Were there any service buttetins released regurding suspension issues with the sc? :(

had the same problem, and already changed both sus arms so i chnged the struts about 2weeks ago and it was so bad that when i layed the shock on its side oil oozed out :o . and now its all good and it handles better too ;)

I had the same thing in my RX and my strut mount was damaged. I just had it replaced...but you described it perfectly. I also had a dealer look at it while it was under "Lexus" warranty....and they didn't find anything. However, it never went away and finally had it looked at at a different Lexus dealership and that is what they found. I had mount replaced (and the ball bearing and all that other stuff) but they didn't replace the strut...said it looked just fine. Hope this helps.

struts kind of act as an upper arm so there are things that can go wrong in the pivot assembly but unless the threads some how stripped on the mouts or the lock nut on the shaft came loose on the shock i am preatty sure its the shock it self. but well you never know what can happen. it could just be a simple swaybar bushing that was the culprit in my LS.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem.

I have severe clunking noise still. less than a month ago i had all 4 strut replaced with KYB. Also replaced front lower and upper control arm bushings with diazen bushings (polyeurethine!!).

I still have the same clunking noise, so took it to the mechanic again, and he told me it looks like sway bar links ($80 each at dealer, needs front 2). he said he's not 100% sure if it will solve the problem, but he said it definitely needs swaybar links.

Now, my question is, do you guys think it could be the sway bar links? or the mount i read about in this post.

Anyone has any idea where I can buy swaybar links from (other than the dealer)? I found bimmer swaybar links for $29 for both, so hoping i wouldn't have to spend $160 bucks for my front two swaybar links.

Thanks for replies.

Ok, I'm really new to the Lexus family but have had the same type of problem in both a Camry and Avalon. Reading these treads I see the upper strut mount also has the ball bearing assembly and I really believe this is where the failure results.

Both previous vehicles where checked by mechanics and told nothing wrong other than the front ends sounded like they would fall off when going over certain pot holes and bumps. Changed both the strut and strut mount and life is good in both of these vehicles. Not very hard but two people make reassembly of the strut, spring and mount much easier.

Hope this helps.

Joel

95 SC300