Important Info! Just Bought A Sc300 And

ocd

I just picked up a 92 5spd SC300 in really good condition, but the A/C didn't work. I thought "no big deal, the rest of the car is cherry", clean interior, runs so smooth, etc. . . . Anyway, I started poking around the HVAC after I had a friend charge it. Now the A/C worked, but it smelled like !Removed! for the first 5min everytime

it fired up. So, I went to replace the cabin air filter, and it was missing. I looked in the hole and saw leaves and sticks and dirt. I pulled down the air box cover and there was so much muddy gunk stuck in the evaporator and it smelled horrible.

I tried to clean it out with the shopvac

It turns out that the evaporator had a leak in it anyway, so it needed to be replaced. So $380 later. . . . I will replace it this w/e. So all potential buyer in the higher mileage market, check the cabin airfilter before you buy. It is very easy to do. Just pull the panel down under the glovebox and you will see 4 wing nuts. Undo the wingnuts and pull down the filter. . . if its there. FYI.

Regards

My 93 SC300 probably has the slot (haven't checked yet), but there's no mention of a filter in the manuals.

Interestingly, the same is true of my 2001 Highlander. They didn't come with filters, but when the 2002s came out with filters, you could buy the bracket and filter and slip it right into place in the 2001! Seems silly to me that Toyota didn't just put it in in the first place (in either car).

Anyway, a year or so after I installed the HL filter I finally dragged it out to clean it, and I was amazed at all the crap in it.

So, good advice above for owners of older cars, check for leaves and all, and put a filter in there!

I just popped mine open. No filter inside, but it had plenty of dirt, dust and sand. Where can I get a filter? Are they available at a parts store or do I have to go to a dealer? Does anyone know the part #?

Thanks!

cabin filters are 97 or 98+ models. but there is a slot for them in all years. if some one can just find the dimensions of the stock filter it can be fabricated, i plan on doing that from home air filters at lowes, but i cant find the dimensions of the oem cabin filter

As promised: Measurements of the Air Conditioner Cabin Air Filter (OEM part #88880-24020). It comes with two peices (one which seems to slide to the back first) each peice is 1.9 cm in width and contains two filter squares joined by a flexible plastic hinge. Each box is 9.5 cm by 11 cm (on the longer, hinged side). Each box contains about 30 folds 8.5 cm in length.

So in total you need two pairs of filter boxes. Each pair is connected.

Hope this made sense, and helps. Apologies for the metric measurements! :D

Kevin.