Front Strut, Air Suspension

kinhoang

Hello everyone.

I am new and need help!!! My LS400 1990 front strut drop down everynight. This is the third time I had it changed by dealer. The cost is so high! Is there any other way to solve this problem? Please let me know! May be some wreck for used part? Can we convert it back to narmal shock? Is it true that air suspension only last 3-4 years? Thanks you all in advance! Kinhoang Lang.

Hello S' Low Rider!

Thanks for the advise! And sorry to get back a litle late because I had been out of town for cople of days.

I had change all brand new 2 front and 2 rear in 1999. Four months ago I noticed the front drop down again and that scare me. You know how much it sost for one. I hope it just the air line or sensor like you said. Do you know how to detect the error or leak? Where is the sensor at and how to get the code. I don't want to bring back to dealer because they told me to change again, even though I have told them It just has been change about 4 years ago. All they told me was that it has been quite awhile since I changed it. I wonder why Lexus could build a good car like this but put them on a so bad air suspension. Just my own thought! Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Its sad to hear that you guys are having troubles with your struts! Thats the reason I came to this board, looking for some solution. I have an '02 LS with a leak in the driver's side airstrut, thats been replaced 3 times! I guess Lexus needs to figure out what the hell the problem is and fix it, apparantly this is an on going problem. When did your problems start?

I think the newer models have more problem then the first generation. I changed my about 12 years later. My 1990 changed last year. The shocks are expensive.... u can get a complete set of aftermarket shocks and springs for less than one air shock.

I had the same problem with my 91' LS. I opted for the aftermarket coilvers to replace the air suspension. I have had no problems and cannot tell the difference, if fact it feels more solid. The whole kit was only 800.00 to my door. I would recommed this if you are tired of replacing the expensive air system.

I just changed out my 96 LS air suspension with the normal shocks. I purchased all 4 replacement struts from Grahams auto (205-668-3441) for $510 including shipping ( The car had about 60K miles on it). Then I sold my 3 good air shocks on E-bay for $ 500 in one day. It cost about $400 to switch the shocks at the repair shop. I also received a new plastic plate without the air button, but I have not been able to figure out how to replace the current plate. The plate with the air and pwr buttons has a 6 prong plug, the plate with only the pwr button only has 4 prongs. If anyone has an idea let me know. Thanks Bob Hanson

Oh boy!......I just purchased my Toyota Celsior a.k.a Lexus LS400 in February. My suspebsion is dropped on the left side and will not raise. Also, the interior light for height display is flashing and will not let me position it in HIGH mode. This is gonna hurt in the pocket I can tell. Are other getting the flashing like myself? Whats this air sensior problem? Easy fix?

Thanks

Regarding my July 2nd post, I just changed out the plastic plate with the power and air height button to one that only has a pwr button on it. It does not take long but is involved. First you must get a new plate from a car w/o air suspension. Then remove the pld plate. Now remove the 6 prong clip from the old plate and insert it into the new plate. You will have to remove the Air button and actually cut some plastic it fit it in. Reinstall the plate and you are ready to go. Now the car looks like I never had air suspension. You can get the plate from the same place that I mentioned for ordering the non-air struts. Make sure the Air suspension switch if off when you remove the button or your dash may continue to light up.

• 4 weeks later...

Similar problem here. My LS400 was bought new in 1990, the air suspension has been no problem for all of my 212,000 miles until recently. One morning I found the front almost dragging the ground. Fortunately, when I started the car, it pumped itself back up and worked fine - including for the trip to the dealer to check on it. There I learned the new air shocks for the front were $995 each plus the estimated labor to install was $250 - so I was looking at $2,250 to repair a car that the the Used Car book says is worth about $3,000 on a trade-in.

They agreed it was senseless and financially stupid to replace the shocks. However - my joy lasted about one more week - then the morning pump up routine stoppped and my Lexus is permanently almost dragging its bow as I drive it - and I have simply had to abandon the car - until I found you guys.

I have just called Graham's Automotive 205-668-3441 Calera, AL which is a junkyard specializing in Lexuses and Toyotos. I can not just replace the front - all 4 must be done together. I have "sprung" for a set of 4 shocks and springs for $600 plus shipping. They claim they do one every month or so and that any decent mechanic can install them. My big problem is the wooden plate at the gearshift knob will still have a high-low button which will be disconnected.

I'll try to let you know if it worked.

Update as of August 19

The new shocks and springs arrived as promised. My car advisor at the office put me in touch with Willie Mason at 804 262 1900 the owner of TireMax , 7015 Brook Road in Richmond, VA. They are a tire store but also install tons of new wheels and aftermarket shocks.

He said he could do it, and seemed familiar with the problem. It took him a day to install the 4 corners of the car, and then he wanted it to stay there another day or two to make sure the new shocks didn't leak. I got the car back and the charge was $270 to install the shocks plus $104 to realign the wheels.

The car is back to normal. The little buttons that change the height of the car and the shocks characteristics - normal vs. sport - are inoperative. The instrument panel light for the height blinks NORMAL. The cars drives fine, and seems the right height. Certainly no one is laughing at the car any more - as the nose is NOT dragging the ground. and I am far better off with my $974 reinvestment in the car for 4 new shocks than I would be with $2,250 for only 2 new air shocks on the front end.

Thanks you all for the tip. I will replace air struts to normal shocks. Still yet I think Lexus should have to do somethings about this if we all write a complain to tnem. I have just change my front and rear air struts less than 2 years. Now its front is leaking again. What a rip off. Thanks again.