Master Key

GaK9s

Just bought a 2000 ES300 and love it. Problem is the car only came with a single valet key (or grey "sub key" per Lexus lingo) and the walet key. I've contacted a near by Lexus dealer about my problem and they said if I want a new Master Key it will require a $1600 replacement computer.

Somebody please, tell me it aint so! :(

Has anyone ever had this experience? Is there a work around where I can program a key myself? I've found blank Master Keys on eBay and the site www.lexus-parts.com as noted in another post I found, but all talk about using a current Master to program the new Master.

I just cannot see paying $1600 for a key.

Unfortunately you must have at least one master key in order to procure another one, if not then they have to replace the ECU computer. $1600 seems like a lot for that though, i've heard between $5-800. I've been meaning to buy a third spare key and keep one in my safe deposit box at the bank to avoid ever having to do that. The car only comes with two masters, I have one and my fiance has one. You wouldn't think you'd loose both but I've read plenty of threads where it happens. The price we pay for added anti-theft features.

I wonder if you can just program a non-remote master key into the car off of the valet key. Hell, it would cost you less to install an aftermarket keyless entry system and just use the valet key as your ordinary key. I think the problem is in programming the keyless entry part of the key, since the valet key will start the car it has the transponder in it...

Sorry :(

I don't think so, thats a pretty involved job that includes getting information off of the ECU (such as the true mileage) and programming it into the new unit. Plus I believe its pretty difficult to get to and requires dismantling most of the dash.

Am I reading this correctly, if I lose my master key I will have to buy a new ecu computer as well as a new key to get a full function remote? Not to be rude, but are these opinions or facts?

I've got a master key and a valet key. My car is a 2002 ES300.

Thanks

I was so busy at work this week I was unable to call and find out but will do so today. So at this point, I cannot honestly answer your question blue... but that's what everyone keeps saying. It may not be a bad idea to make a duplicate master and keep it in a safe place. It may save you money in the long run.

• 2 years later...

Nope, its true. :cries:

I have a 99 ES 300 with only one grey valet key. I have tried everything and have finally resorted to an after market alarm/keyless entry for way less.

3 different Lexus dealers in the Boston, MA area all said the actual first replacement of the computer was free, and their prices ranged... but:

Labor was $99 - $139

Programming $46.50

Min of 2 master keys - $235 - $280 per key

And here is the KICKER!!! The computer must be manually removed from the car and sent away for a new one to be programmed properly and sent back over a WEEK where the car is NOT drivable.. and they were very uncooperative about a loaner for a week... and at that point I was too tired to bother pushing, $700ish is too much for me to bother!

I would be interested in getting info on the possibility of having a spare valet made off my valet, that will start the car. Is this possible?

omfg! my car (02 es300) only came with 1 master key. i bought one off ebay and it came with intructions on how to program it. went to the lock guy in providence and he vut the key, went out to the parking lot, and had it starting and unlocking the car remotely within 15 minutes. total cost was 70 for the key and 10 for the cut..... WOOT!!! (you do need the other master to program it btw. if anyone wants a scan of the programing paper, just let me know!

I just ordered two keys, one master and one valet from the dealership this car was originally sold at. $165 for the master plus $45 for programing and $65 for the valet. They didn't say a word about having to have a existing master which fortunately I do.

If you have the info, contact the original dealership that sold the car. Maybe they have the info to program a master in a data base.

By the way, the dealership that the car was originally purchased at is about 100 miles from where I am. I contacted a dealership about 30 miles from where I am: $200 for the master key, $240 to program, $100 for the valet.

Shop around.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a 98 gs300 with one master key (only).... I know that i am screwed bigtime if I lose this key :cries: so I want to get another one ASAP (but not for the $300 w/ programming the dealer quoted me). I have seen several places online where I can get a master key w/remote and then program it myself... but I dont know if its a good idea.... I'm willing to buy the key online and even let the dealer program it if it will definitly work. Please help!!!

p.s.: im in school in Nashville, TN... if anyone knows a great local shop for the keys and just about anything else I may need. Thanks in advance :D

• 1 month later...

I'm a used car dealer. I bought an Avalon at auction and learned the hard way about the master key. I always supply two keys to my customer and keep one key myself. Long story short--I only had a valet key and I wasn't about to spend $1500 on a computer and two keys. I found some places that would flash the computer for a lot less, but still way to much to just make some keys. My solution was to zip-tie the valet chip key to the ignition cylinder under the dash, then just use non-chip copies of the key to start the car. The car thinks the non-chip keys are chip keys because it senses the key that is zip-tied to the ignition. My customer doesn't even know it's there. You have to fiddle with the location/position of the chip key to make it work, but it will work when it's in the right spot.

I'm a used car dealer. I bought an Avalon at auction and learned the hard way about the master key. I always supply two keys to my customer and keep one key myself. Long story short--I only had a valet key and I wasn't about to spend $1500 on a computer and two keys. I found some places that would flash the computer for a lot less, but still way to much to just make some keys. My solution was to zip-tie the valet chip key to the ignition cylinder under the dash, then just use non-chip copies of the key to start the car. The car thinks the non-chip keys are chip keys because it senses the key that is zip-tied to the ignition. My customer doesn't even know it's there. You have to fiddle with the location/position of the chip key to make it work, but it will work when it's in the right spot.

i know a lot of people that use this method for many different makes as well.

• 14 years later...

hello,I have a lexus 01 es300. I bought the car with only one black key. Wondering if its a copy of the original master key? It starts and unlocks the car. But not all functions work in the car. Can anyone help with this? Thanks

If it starts the car it's probably original equipment. 

My GS 300 came with the one black key. And some things work, others do not. In my case for example the doors don't lock via the fob but that is due to faulty locks not the fob. 

I often wonder what became of the "other" keys as my GS is the 3rd vehicle I bought with only the one key. But then one day I noticed the spare to a van I sold was hanging on my car key holder rack. Oops.