Cooling Fan/power Steering Solenoid.

You guys have helped me out alot at trying to diagnose this problem with my cooling fan- thanks alot. My cooling fan still does not spin at all. All sensors are ok, fuses are ok cooling components like water pump, therm stat, are all ok. I have even tried replacing the hydraulic fan itself. Finally my mechanic thinks it might be a solenoid issue. Before I go out and buy another part I do not need does anyone have any thoughts on this issue. Is there a way to troubleshoot a ps/cooling fan solenoid? Is this "screen" I hear about on the solenoid on the es300, could it clog and possibly stop my fan from running? Any advice guys would be very much appreciated. I am desperate at this point and out of a few hundred dollars.

94 ES LexusBoy04

You guys have helped me out alot at trying to diagnose this problem with my cooling fan- thanks alot. My cooling fan still does not spin at all. All sensors are ok, fuses are ok cooling components like water pump, therm stat, are all ok. I have even tried replacing the hydraulic fan itself. Finally my mechanic thinks it might be a solenoid issue. Before I go out and buy another part I do not need does anyone have any thoughts on this issue. Is there a way to troubleshoot a ps/cooling fan solenoid? Is this "screen" I hear about on the solenoid on the es300, could it clog and possibly stop my fan from running? Any advice guys would be very much appreciated. I am desperate at this point and out of a few hundred dollars.

94 ES LexusBoy04

Have you tested the cooling Tempature sensor for cooling fan? It control the cooling fan spin. It is located by thermostat housing, unplug it and it should give a high spin for the fan, if it does not normally the sensor is bad, remember is not the coolang temp. sensor by the rad cap (that one is for the temp. gauge).

I have tried that. I unplugged the sensor by the therm stat housing and the fan does not spin at all; I have interpreted that as the sensor not being the problem; becuase if I am not mistaking by unplugging that sensor I am bypassing the sensor altogether. Right?

Lexusboy04 lexus es300

I have tried that. I unplugged the sensor by the therm stat housing and the fan does not spin at all; I have interpreted that as the sensor not being the problem; becuase if I am not mistaking by unplugging that sensor I am bypassing the sensor altogether. Right?

Lexusboy04 lexus es300

Try to jumper the OP1 and E1 on Data Link Connector,When terminals OP1 and E1 are connected, the circuit of the ECT sensor is grounded, the cooling fan should run at approx. 1,100 rpm(fail safe operation occurs). If still does not work I am affraid you probably have a bad Cooling Fan ECU (located inside under the dashboard of passenger side)

please explain to me how the fan can spin with the engine off if it is run by the powersteering pump which runs off the engine??????

I am sorry if my suggestion above was not clear, I assumed he knew that in order to do the test, the engine must be on.

please explain to me how the fan can spin with the engine off if it is run by the powersteering pump which runs off the engine??????

I am sorry if my suggestion above was not clear, I assumed he knew that in order to do the test, the engine must be on.

Yeah I treid it with the engine on.. still no luck.

Yeah I treid it with the engine on.. still no luck.

Lexusboy04, I haven't give up on you yet, I'm still scratching my head. Please try to test the solenoid valve for the hydraulic motor fan,Using an ohmmeter, measure solenoid valve resistance. Resistance should be 7.6-8.0 ohms at 77°F (warm up a little).

• 15 years later...