Engine Check Light On?

Has anybody had their RX330 Engine check light go on and VSC?

Well it happened to mine this afternoon. I called up the service guy at Lexus and he says it could be a short in the system, which would cause the VSC to shut down. Or the gas cap itsn't tight enough. I tried tighten the gas cap a couple of turns and no luck.

There could be anything, and he says to bring it in. Will have to wait until Monday, they only do oil changes on Sat. Anybody have any ideas why the light will go on?

Well it happened to mine this afternoon. I called up the service guy at Lexus and he says it could be a short in the system, which would cause the VSC to shut down. Or the gas cap itsn't tight enough. I tried tighten the gas cap a couple of turns and no luck.

There could be anything, and he says to bring it in. Will have to wait until Monday, they only do oil changes on Sat. Anybody have any ideas why the light will go on?

How many miles is your car? Do you feel or notice any different after the check engine light on? Dealer is right could be anything or something simple like gas cap is not tight enough. Do this only if you don't feel any different, after you check the gas cap is tight open the hood then open the fuse box, pull EFI fuse for 15 sec, then put it back it should clear the check engine code. If there are still a problem with your car the check engine light should come back within a few minutes ( after the engine get warm up) or a few miles, if it does not come on again that's it the gas cap was not tight enough. But if it is then take it to dealer on Monday. Please update the situation....really like to know what is going on..Thks :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

My wife complained about the same issue listed. Check Engine Light on with the VSC. She asked me what VSC stood for and since I did not know my answer was Very serious condition. :) anyway I did as outlined before and I found the gas cap in need of two turns! Pulled the fuse, drove the car for 10 minutes and the light never came on again. This news group and the gentleman who wrote this tip saved me a bunch of money and probably breakfast of my choice from my grateful wife.

Fabio

2000 RX300 60K miles

How many miles is your car? Do you feel or notice any different after the check engine light on? Dealer is right could be anything or something simple like gas cap is not tight enough. Do this only if you don't feel any different, after you check the gas cap is tight open the hood then open the fuse box, pull EFI fuse for 15 sec, then put it back it should clear the check engine code. If there are still a problem with your car the check engine light should come back within a few minutes ( after the engine get warm up) or a few miles, if it does not come on again that's it the gas cap was not tight enough. But if it is then take it to dealer on Monday. Please update the situation....really like to know what is going on..Thks :rolleyes:

Ladies and Gents,

I spoke to soon. The engine light came on again, but my wife was headed to the Toyota dealer for the 60K service anyway. The CEL and VSC code is indicating that the sensor on the exhaust manifold is defective. I am warned by the dealer that Japan does not use anti-seize goop and as a result the sensor might not come out. I tell them to go ahead and try. The sensor comes out with the manifold's threads and it will need to be replaced $600. Cha ching! part is back east and need to wait till Friday. That means renting a car for a few days... more dinero.

It was looking so good for a while. ARGH!

Fabio

2000 RX300 60K Miles

VSC light comes on with the cel as well .

vsc stands for vehicle skid control .....

when the check engine light is on the computer goes into a sort of limp mode ....

shutting off the vsc ...

and that is why the vsc light comes on also ......

Why are you going to a toyota dealer ???? isn't there a lexus dealer by you ????

if you were a good customer they would provide you with a loaner .... or they would pay for a rental for you ....