Sc 300 Traction Controller

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me. I have an SC 300 1996 model and I was wondering if I have traction control in my car even though I do not have the traction controller button thats suppose to be located near my transmission like the one listed in the owners manual.

Thanks

Welcome to the club. Traction control is an option on automatic transmission equipped SC's. Chances are that if there is no button on the gear selector then your vehicle is not equipped with it. The owners manual is a generic manual to cover all options. To verify, you may pop the hood and look on the throttle body and there should be a badge that indicates traction control as an option. There will also be an extra solenoid near the throttle plate that is the actuator for trac.

Well I checked it out and there was no badge on the throttle body. Also the light for the traction control on the dash did not lit up/blink when I started up the car. So no traction control....

thanks for the help

you should have a rear differential. The differential is similar to traction control, without a chip running it. If you're trying to run the SC in snow, the differential will not slow the car down, but will allow your car to run evenly Left and right. I had a lot of fun drifting around during our snow days here.

Well I live in Southern California so plenty of roads but no snow =P . Non the less its good to know that I have a Diff. in my car to keep me balanced during tight turns. I inherited this car a couple of weeks ago so I'm still trying to learn the odds and ends of it. But going through this forum has been helpful.

Just for clarification - all cars have a differential. That is how the drive force of a longitudinally mounted motor is diverted horizontally across the axle. Most cars have an open differential wich allows for one wheel, usually the wheel with least traction to spin independant of the other. A limited slip differential will allow some slip but will also lock and make both wheels turn at a standstill regardless of traction available.