Why Did You Choose The Es?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well which one I'd choose (IS or TL) would depend on alot of things (whether/not I had a family as was mentioned, whether I liked FWD or RWD handling better, etc.), but more to the point, chances are those two would never come head to head in my books b/c to me there's no comparison with the two; that to me is like comparing a Mazda Miata (the IS in this comparison) to a 2 door Civic (the TL); one's aimed at being a "sports car", hence the cheesier interior and RWD, and the other is more aimed to be a "luxury-sports car", hence the bigger size, "nicer" interior and FWD. And while I'm at it, I like the IS, but I'm a smaller guy and I like sportier cars; I think the interior is sweet a$$ personally, and that's probably b/c I don't try and compare it to, oh say the ES or the TL, b/c I know they have different intentions completely. B)

Actually even more to the point on the IS and TL issue; no doubt the TL was intended to compete with the IS in one common market bracket, but personally I feel that what actually ended up happening is that what resulted from this "competition" was the creation of 2 entirely new brackets; the TL is a sporty yet very luxurious car, but doesn't fit wholly into the sports car nor in the luxury car bracket, and as for the IS, it's a sporty and not very "luxurious" car at all, so it doesn't fit into the same category IMO as like, persay the 3 series b/c that is still a luxurious car, but at the same time, it's not a ground pounder and it's 4 door, so it can't really be called a sports car, so! There ya go-2 new brackets that I'm sure will develop their own competition eventually but not yet in my eyes.

That is all.

Hehehe....here's a few pictures I took this afternoon by my house.

I parked next to the 300SL, took some pics and then an Aston Martin DB7 parked next to me.

I was in an exotic car sandwich!

The owner was a very distinguished lady, and we chatted for a while. She was very nice.

*DROOL* Which would you choose?

Daily driver: My ES300

Sunny weekend driver: 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe.

front.jpg

sideview.jpg

Prettymaids.jpg

Yaletown3.jpg

B)

WOW! Do you realize that these 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupes are worth over $200,000 US in the used car market! You could buy a bunch of Lexus's for that. :D

Whoever told you the IS was built on the Corolla platform was very misinformed. The two cars are not similar in any way. The IS is on a rear drive platform and shares the engine and transmissions with the GS300, prior SC300s and the Toyota Supra. The Corolla is a front drive car on a totally different platform with a completely different drivetrain. The IS is sold in Japan as the Toyota Altezza and if it shares any platform parts with another Toyota vehicle its the Supra.

SWO3ES: I said Platform! Not drivetrain! I also didn't say they were similar. I know what both vehicles have in them, how they work, and have driven all of them.

I heard my information from some friends at Toyota, who are going to verify it. Yes, the substructure is beefier for the heavier engine, and the outer skin is different- though strangely similar in size to the Corolla?? Hmm..... It's possible, no? I will admit my sources have been wrong before.

They don't even share the same platform. That information is false ;) The Camry and the ES share a platform, the Corolla and IS do not. Just because two cars are similar in size doesn't make them platform mates. Usually the dead giveaway is if the car is FWD or RWD. It requires so much modification to the platform to set it up to hold a RWD vs a FWD car its no longer cost effective to share platforms. The Avalon and LS430 are similar in size (the Avalon is actually slightly larger), but they do not share the same platform. The Avalon is on a stretched Camry platform while the LS rides on the celsior platform shared with the Lexus SC/Toyota Soarer and some of the Crown line of JDM high end Toyotas.

The IS platorm is probably shared with some Japan spec high end Toyotas, maybe the Brevis or something but certainly not the Corolla. If you think about it it just wouldn't make any sense. Toyota offers several IS-sized RWD cars in Japan and they offer several Corolla sized FWD cars. With the extensive modification neccisary to change the drive end, it would be cheaper for them to have two basic structures to work from, one built to be a RWD car, one built to be a FWD car. Some of the linkages and maybe a crossmember or two may be shared (as they are between all vehicles made by any given company) but thats certainly not enough to say they share the same platform.

Do your friends at Toyota work for dealerships? If they do then they don't have any access to information we can't get. Its VERY common for Toyota salespeople and managers to brainwash their salespeople into thinking all the Lexus products are simply rebranded Toyota cars, that way they can present the Toyota as a cheaper alternative to a Lexus. Just because someone works for Toyota, even Toyota corporate doesn't mean they have access to any kind of design specifications that we can't get access to. In the dealings I've had with Toyota brand employees is that they have a fair amount of anymosity towards Lexus brand employees and designers and the two don't mesh very well. That also biases the information you get from them.

Regardless of what your friends come back with I can assure you the Corolla and the IS do not share the same platform. I can come up with the individual specs and exact information about what DOES ride on the Altezza (IS) platform. I know the Supra does, and I expect the smaller RWD and AWD high end Toyotas like the Brevis do as well.

2001- Lexus IS300 JCE10L

now which one is the corrola one?

the corrola match ?

1983-1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

1987-1992 Toyota Corolla AE92

1993-1997 Toyota Corolla AE101

1998- Toyota Corolla ZZE110

2002- Toyota Matrix ZZE133L

the matrix/vibe share the corolla platform since their code is similar but it is a longer wider platform but the same basis ?