Head Gasket Replacement

This is my first post and I would like to say that going through the posts was very informative and I think what you guys are doing is awesome. I have to replace the valve stem seals and the head gasket in my lexus. I have done this on older cars and with easier engines. I was hoping maybe someone could give me tips on doing this. My lexus has 145000 miles on it and to the best of my knowledge the valves havent been changed. Should I do this? Another question is does anyone have a good web site to order parts from. I am looking for a master kit for all my seals and gaskets. Thank you for your time in reading this, i am looking forward to your posts.

valve stem seal and head gasket usually don't need to be changed unless the car has very poor upkeeps and burns engine oil (blue smoke) or engine has been subject to abnomal high temp. due to cooling system failure.

oh, NO! u need the job alright. from what I heard, it's easily an $1K~$2K job if done by shop.

has the engine ever overheated due to the coolant situation? what's the maintenance history of this car? 145K just 'middle-age' for LS, it's really a pitty that it needs head gasket/valve job already.....

The maintianence records were supposively good, and he had papers when he sold the lexus to me (around the 130,000 mile mark). The car ran good until then and then all of a sudden it was white smoke everywhere.I called the places where he had papers from and they said that they dont have records of his car (I should have called before i bought it, i was just to excited and made a mistake). I havent driven the car much since I blew the gasket so I am pretty sure I havent over heated the engine. I am thinking about taking the heads out, taking them to a shop and getting them rebuilt and then putting on the head gasket on myself. Also I am going to do a full tune up, swap water pumps and put new fluids in. I have done this job on a smaller engine with no AC, so if anyone has pointers or anything that could help me. I would much appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows where to get a full gasket kit online or good parts for decent costs, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks again for all reading this.

seattlelexusguy,

I would suggest you get a copy of the Lexus service manual. Maybe someone will send you a copy of the procedure with pictures.

Here is a list of engine smoke anaylsis:

Blue smoke indicates that engine oil is being burned, if the smoke is coming from

the exhaust. If the smoke occurs during acceleration look at the piston rings as

it source. If it occurs during deceleration look at the valve guides as it source.

Black or very dark brown smoke is usually associated with an engine that is

running rich. You might want to look at the fuel injection system.

White smoke has two common sources, transmission fluid and/or antifreeze. Check

the vacuum hose, usually located to the transmission output shaft housing. I am

not for sure on the LS400, since I have not look. The service manual will be your

best source. If you see transmission fluid in the hose, replace the vacuum

modulator. If there is no tranmission fluid in the hose, then most likely source

of the white smoke is a blown head gasket, a cracked cylinder head, or a cracked

block. These conditions can be confirmed with a compression test or cylinder

leakage test (Best). Another way to determine whether white smoke is burned

tranmission fluid or burned antifreeze. The antifreeze has a distinct sweet odor,

whereas the transmission fluid just smells smoky.

• 2 months later...

well i found this older post while trying to find an answer to something i noticed today. I am getting white smoke from the tail pipes. It is most noticeable at idle. When i rev the engine up, it is difficult to see the smoke at all. The smoke has a sweet smell and if Mr_Ferrari is right, it is coolant. My question is: Is it definately a blown head gasket, a cracked cylinder head, or a cracked block? or could it be other things? This would be very bad news for me if this is the case. I already know i need a steering rack and a rear main seal, if I need a head gasket or any of the other 2 things mentioned above, it might be good bye to my lexie :( .

someone please tell me that there are other possibilties and cheap ways to determine these. Thanks in advance for any input.

PS incase you forgot to look at my signature: 94 170K

There are lots of symptoms to a blown head gasket - as mentioned a brown milkshake appearance to the oil, especially under the filler cap. The exhaust will stink - coolant going through a catalytic converter will produce a most unpleasant odor, and kill the cat. Loss of coolant from the resevoir, or overpressure of the cooling system blowing the cap vent are other signs.

For sure I would not even think of pulling the head(s) without a definite confirmation that the gasket is faulty. Very rare on these engines.

If the only symptom is a white "smoke", then determine if it is smoke. These cars have a very large volume exhaust system, and I have noticed, at least here in Canada, that even after a long drive the exhaust still steams, the rusult of the large system cooling the exhaust gases to the condensation temperature. Chances are the white stuff is steam, or more properly, water vapour. When you burn gasoline, you make water, about one pound of water per gallon of gasoline burned. That's chemistry.

• 17 years later...

Your best course of action is to find a service manual for your car and review the steps that are involved with removing the cylinder heads.

Check your local library.  They may have a shop manual on the shelf.