Traction Control Vs Lsd

GRD

I have a 99 LX 470 and was curious how much better the 2000+ year LX470 traction control systems are for off-roading.

I don't want to be too mad at not getting a 2000 model.

Any help is appreciated. I bring this up because I got stuck on the beach, and noticed that the front diff was open with just one side spinning.

Here is the photo. http://www.rcaerialpixs.com/RICKS_SITE/San_Carlos.html

Scroll down to the last picture.

Thanks,

George

lsd's are for performance while traction control is for safety

TC won;t get you through deep ruts but an lsd can since it is locking the drive wheels together for equal torque while the TC just slows down a wheel from spinning

So how'd you get out? Looks pretty hairy, was the tide coming in or going out???

The tide was coming in, but almost at peak flood. A local called a tow truck to come in from Guaymas, about 30 miles away. The tow truck was an old dually with an a-frame winch. He couldn't get over the dune to get to the beach, so we linked about 75 yards of chain together.

The truck almost flipped over trying to pull me out. His rear end just buried itself in the sand while doing wheelies. We gave those guys lots of beer. We finally got my truck out.

Funny part was that the tow truck was totally stuck, and my landcruiser (Lx470) had to pull him out.

I just ordered an ARB bumper with winch. This won't happen again.

Regards,

George

Whew, any damage?

I think maybe lockers would have helped, I have one on my '99 Land Cruiser (rear and center) but not on my wife's '98 LX470 (only center). And it really is effective. I'll drive into the deep sand at the beach with the TLC but not the LX, I just don't have the confidence in the LSD.

So which bull bar did you get? I'm hoping to put a ARB Sahara bar on the '99.

Whew, any damage?

I think maybe lockers would have helped, I have one on my '99 Land Cruiser (rear and center) but not on my wife's '98 LX470 (only center). And it really is effective. I'll drive into the deep sand at the beach with the TLC but not the LX, I just don't have the confidence in the LSD.

So which bull bar did you get? I'm hoping to put a ARB Sahara bar on the '99.

There was no damage. Dot a drop of water in the diff. The truck does awesome on the beach. I got stuck because I was launching a waverunner and a large wave came up and slammed into the back of the truck. When the water went out, the tires/wheels were almost buried.

I should have flattened the tires, but I had a few margaritas in me and I tried to move to no avail. The front bumper was in the sand and I wasn't going anywhere. The water was rising with the tide.

The only ARB bumper for the LX470 is the Saraha. This is also the only way to get a winch installed permanantly. It will take a couple of months to get here.

I decided to invest in a winch vs getting a locker for the front. The winch will always get me out of trouble and I don't do any rock climbing or really servere 4-wheeling. The rear LSD really works well. I would have been stuck with dual lockers in this situation.

George

by using a brush bumper bar your srs airbags will become ineffective in most crashes as the sensors will no longer be geting any force to activate them

just soething to think about

also be carful about adding lights to the grille as they tend to cause the engine to overheat by blocking the air flow hopefully not the same with the winch

by using a brush bumper bar your srs airbags will become ineffective in most crashes as the sensors will no longer be geting any force to activate them

just soething to think about

also be carful about adding lights to the grille as they tend to cause the engine to overheat by blocking the air flow hopefully not the same with the winch

Not true at all. Go to ARBUSA.com. Their bumpers are air bag compatible. The winch sits very low inside the bumper.

The lights will have little effect on engine heat. The grill will not be blocked, and the fan does most of the cooling, as long as it can pull fresh air.

ARB does extensive crash testing on their products.

Thanks,

George

thats good to hear they doing research on their products to make it safer overall.

I am not sure what the purpose of the bar would be other than holding the winch ?Is that what it is made for ,or to protect the bumper also?

thats good to hear they doing research on their products to make it safer overall.

I am not sure what the purpose of the bar would be other than holding the winch ?Is that what it is made for ,or to protect the bumper also?

ARB designs Bull Bars to protect the front of your truck when hitting Bull Kangaroos, small trees, bushes, etc. It is made out of stamped steel vs my plastic cover.

The bull bar is also specifically designed to mount a 10,000lb winch while allowing the air bag deployment sensors to work. It is designed to handle the strain of winching a 6000lb vehicle out of anything.

Thanks,

George

ARB designs Bull Bars to protect the front of your truck when hitting Bull Kangaroos, small trees, bushes, etc. It is made out of stamped steel vs my plastic cover.

The bull bar is also specifically designed to mount a 10,000lb winch while allowing the air bag deployment sensors to work. It is designed to handle the strain of winching a 6000lb vehicle out of anything.

Thanks,

George

I grew up in Arizona and I don't recall coming across many kangaroos? :P

Make sure you post some pics of the LX with the Bull Bar!!! :cheers:

...I would have been stuck with dual lockers in this situation.

George

Front/Rear lockers would've been absolutely no help in this situation. Neither would any kind of traction control or LSD. Dropping the tire pressure would've helped initially, but once that wave hit you and the tide came in -- you were screwed.

Great story though and nice pic.

As some of the others have stated about the ARB bull bar, ARB has rated them air bag compliant for the LX 470. And the added benefit of having a stout bumper to protect the front end is a very nice feature.

Thanks,

George

I'm in Tucson. Are you still in AZ?

George

Thanks,

George

I'm in Tucson. Are you still in AZ?

George

As far as bull Kangaroos go, this is what the guys at ARB told me. I guess they run over quite a few of them in the Outback. :chairshot:

George

No roos in the U.S. but plenty of deer. I know several guys who have hit deer with their ARB bull/roo bars. No damage to rig nor bar -- some deer have exploded on impact.

No roos in the U.S. but plenty of deer. I know several guys who have hit deer with their ARB bull/roo bars. No damage to rig nor bar -- some deer have exploded on impact.

Good point! All those guys are over on ih8mud tho, right? Too bad this site doesn't get more posts. ;)

Some are on the mud site. Some from the 80s lists. I almost tagged a doe last weekend -- she decided to jump back off the highway again as I passed. Yes...it is somewhat quiet here... :mellow:

Some are on the mud site. Some from the 80s lists. I almost tagged a doe last weekend -- she decided to jump back off the highway again as I passed. Yes...it is somewhat quiet here... :mellow:

I go 4wheeling up in Greer, AZ at elevations starting at 8500. There are many deer and Elk on the back roads and highways. I have seen many, but never hit one. Except with a bullet or arrow. I have a property up there, but live in Tucson. Not many LX470's are used for off-roading. They are very capable trucks. Going to Chiva Falls tomorrow. http://www.virtualtucsonmagazine.com/vtmse...ages/chiva.html

My bullbar and winch is being shipped from ARB in Australia. It's going to take 8 to ten weeks to get here. Only $140 in shipping. With a winch, my wife will be relieved. Here is a link to my property www.antlerridge.com. Great offroading. No police, just back roads in the National Forest and a few game wardens.

George

Some are on the mud site.  Some from the 80s lists.  I almost tagged a doe last weekend -- she decided to jump back off the highway again as I passed.  Yes...it is somewhat quiet here... :mellow:

I go 4wheeling up in Greer, AZ at elevations starting at 8500. There are many deer and Elk on the back roads and highways. I have seen many, but never hit one. Except with a bullet or arrow. I have a property up there, but live in Tucson. Not many LX470's are used for off-roading. They are very capable trucks. Going to Chiva Falls tomorrow. http://www.virtualtucsonmagazine.com/vtmse...ages/chiva.html

My bullbar and winch is being shipped from ARB in Australia. It's going to take 8 to ten weeks to get here. Only $140 in shipping. With a winch, my wife will be relieved. Here is a link to my property www.antlerridge.com. Great offroading. No police, just back roads in the National Forest and a few game wardens.

George

Link to property in Greer, AZ. www.antlerridge.com

Beautiful country.

George

• 4 weeks later...

hey post some pics as soon as you get the bar on. I have not had the time to mod my lx and actually have not found many companies that make products for the lx seen lots for the land cruiser. so far all i have is a snorkel. ( still in box a lot of good it does there huh?)