Locking Lug Nuts

slate67

I have a set of Chrome rims with the gold lexus logo at the center and purchased a set of aftermarket locking lug nuts to deter theft. The key cutout has already begun to rust. <_< Any thoughts on whether the Lexus OEM locking lug nuts are better and if they have the same tendency to rust, how does one prevent this? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

can you expand on that. I am unsure of what you mean by a nut base. Is that the portion of the lug nut closest to the rim? It is not rusting there. It is in the machined female shape on the face of the lug nut that shows the rust. It wipes out with a q-tip.

Are you noting that aftermarket locking lugs are unsafe or that they do not rust at the base. Sorry for my ignorance but please get me squared away and thank you.

slate67, I think what skperformance was trying to say is that it would be better to have the locks from the dealer. One reason it that they fit just right on original wheels.

I would not worry to much about a little rust on the locks themself, especially if it just wipes off so easy. You must be in a hight humidity area. I live in the desert and I don't think I could have rust if I tried. :lol:

CApe Girardeau, MO is adjacent to the mississippi river. The only other place that had this humidity (yeaterday was 100%) was Parris Island, SC when I went through Boot. Thank you for the explanation and enjoy the low humidity.

the OEM ones that were shipped with my 02 were McGard. slate, if you have the lock code, just order extra lock lugs from McGard directly. I always order an extra key as well as an extra locking lug. McGard makes them for all applications and the base of my set are identical to the Lexus lugs.

If you don't have the code, you can just get a whole new set and start fresh.

They are not that expensive.

A quick fix it to clean it well with laquer thinner then apply a coat of clear coat with a model paintbruch or Q-tip. Another solution is clear nail polish. Neither item will remain if you have to use the key lug, but for the time being it will limit that rusting that is going on now.

steviej

Go Sox:

I am originally from Haverhill MA, moving to MO in 1995 for employment. I was the sole representative of the Sox and Pats in Missouri (Thick KC/Rams, Cardinals fans) but I have swung the wife and kiddos. Thanks for the idea re: the lugs and the rust preventative. Here's another question.

Followed a thread on all season tires, and the consensus appears to be on good and bad season tires (2 sets). This involves buying new rims for the winter tires, I presume, but noone spoke about the rims/wheels. What do members do here??

Thanks.

Pretty much already expanded on what i meant by other members

Basically the back of the nut where it meets the rims have a slightly different shaped cone than other oem rims , so it needs to have a toyota oem shaped cone on the back

get a nice set of rims you like either the same size or upgrade to a larger size

or use your stock rims for summer and get a cheap set of black steel rims for winter.

Thanks SK.

BTW, I contacted McGard today and they told me that the cone on their OEM aftermarket lugs was slightly smaller than the rim seat. They stated that the Lexus locking lugs were specifically made for the OEM rims. They stated that their locking lug nut would be OK if only one was used and only if I had a 5 bolt wheel. They too were steering me to factory parts, though said their aftermarket parts would be "O.K." Basically, they confirmed what you already stated. Is ther no end to your vast depth of knowledge? :)

Slate

my vast depth of knowledge ends at my front door, or else my wife will find things for me to do

lmao

i wouldnt use one nut that fits but not flush

toyota carries them

also look online or check one of our sponsers to see if they have a set they can sell to you cheaper.