Snow Chains For Rx330

Well, first of all, you cannot use snowchains on an RX at all. At least not safely so according to Lexus.

The rear tire and suspension clearance is too low to allow any type of chains to be fitted at the rear. Lexus' RX owners manual says to use snowchain ONLY on the front but a section in the very same manual then points out how likely this will make it quite easy to lose control of the vehicle.

I added 1.5 wheel spacers and upgraded to 17x8 wheels and 235/65-17 tires on my 01 AWD RX right after I picked it up. The spacers allow me to safely use rear snowchains ONLY, which I have done on several occassions. I suppose I could use chains on all four but I haven't had the need yet.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just moved to Switzerland, and have a '04 RX, AWD, with air suspension.

Where I live it is mandatory to have snow chains, in addition to winter tires! If in an accident, and the circumstances called for snow chains, and you did not have them fitted on the driving tires, you are 100% at fault. Hence, I have just bought Pewag SUV Sportmatik snow chains for my 235/55/18 winter tires. Of course there is only 1 pair, which I have tested fit on the front tires.

I am not able to custom add wheel spacers, and would like to know how to use the snow chains in the RX, and what to look out for when only fitting snow chains on the front tires?

KB

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just moved to Switzerland, and have a '04 RX, AWD, with air suspension.

Where I live it is mandatory to have snow chains, in addition to winter tires! If in an accident, and the circumstances called for snow chains, and you did not have them fitted on the driving tires, you are 100% at fault. Hence, I have just bought Pewag SUV Sportmatik snow chains for my 235/55/18 winter tires. Of course there is only 1 pair, which I have tested fit on the front tires.

I am not able to custom add wheel spacers, and would like to know how to use the snow chains in the RX, and what to look out for when only fitting snow chains on the front tires?

KB

As an example your worse possible circumstance is on a downhill slope with the need to slow the vehicle. With more traction in the front, a LOT more than in the rear, the vehicle will always want to swap ends in this and other equivalent circumstances. A need to stop quickly, for instance.The best advice is to proceed at DEAD SLOW speeds if you MUST drive with front chains only.

If it is not possible to install wheel spacers have you thought about lower profile winter tires all around or , for winter use only, say, smaller wheel and winter tire combination with 2" overall less total diameter, that will allow you the space to fit snow chains on the rear?

Here on the eastside of Seattle I don't often have the need but two weeks ago I had four chains on for a few days and felt as if the RX was virtualy "invincable". Even with, or maybe especially because, the VSC/Trac system was inadvertently disabled.

As one final thought are you sure the air suspension will not provide enough "lift" to allow the use of rear snow chains?