Big Electrical Problem

FreddT

I thought I sensed a tiny hesitation upon acceleration in my 94LS with 103 K, so I replaced the plugs and wires a couple of weeks ago. Nothing seemed better or worse upon completion, until today. Suddenly I developed an alarming miss-definitely electrical. After crawling home, I tore open all the plastic covers and such, and couldn't find anything wrong with the new wires or plugs. I drove the car after this inspection, and it was awful.

For the hell of it, I decided to drive the car without the new air filter and the Mass Air Sensor connected. Throttle body wide open. Wow, it ran like a dragster. Yes, the instrument light was on, but there was no hesitation. Really better, with no miss or hesitation of any kind. Never run smoother.

Obvious question-is there a problem with the Sensor? Can I drive without it? I know it's expensive. Can I clean the Sensor? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Not sure about the sensor, but I would very highly recommend not to drive it without the air filter. This can cause serious damage to your car. Also, incase of a misfire, the car could catch fire. Not sure about that other sensor though.

Is your car a 91 or a 94? You said 94' but below your name on the left side, it says 91'. Not really a big deal though, as the engines are identical.

I'm also experiencing the same problem with my 94 LS. I'm still not sure what's causing the problem, but I'm leaning towards a hesitation in Air Flow. Either the ECU can't compute the increase in air when we press the throttle, or the air-fuel ratio has changed.

I have a 91 and a 94. Love the Lexus. The 94 is actually a relic-used and abused-wife loves it. I figured I can always swap parts? I just took a drive in the '94 with all the plastic covers off the engine, but with the Mass air and the Air filter now installed. Of course, it runs like a top. Really confused, since I didn't do a lot to improve anything.

My next guess is to run the car in the morning when it's cold. Although the problem started after a drive to the Market-after it was warmed up. I'll let you know if I'm stranded. Wife won't be too happy, either....