Gs300 Vsc Problem

:unsure: I 've just picked up a 1998 GS 300 from a local Lexus dealer in an immaculate condition with only 40000 KMS on the clock, hardley driven by previous older owner.

But last night to my surprise the car just stopped responding after stopping at the traffic light with the "VSC","VSC OFF" and engine lights all on at the same time with no response from the accellerator pedal.

I shut the car off and restarted it and everything started to behave normaly again, the Local dealer's answer is, that this is a spike that happens within the computer system and that there is nothing to worry about, but somehow I can't buy that.

Has anyone experinced anything like this?

While others have posted on this forum about various VSC system problems, what your dealer told you is total bunk. Absolute, 100%, false.

The system is designed with various fail-safes to enable you to drive even if some component should fail. If you found yourself in a position where the car would not move along at all, I wouldn't call that safe.

Did the dealer check the car's computer for trouble codes?

I had the same exact issue with my 2003 GS 430, the car just stopped accelerating, Engine, VSC and VSC OFF lights came on, the car just would not go above 50 miles per hour. It felt like something was wrong with the gas pedal, I shut the car off, let it cool off for a while and then everything went back to normal, but in the morning it happened again. I brought the car to the dealer and they had to replace a unit that "tells" the angle of the gas pedal.

Good luck.

I had the same exact issue with my 2003 GS 430, the car just stopped accelerating, Engine, VSC and VSC OFF lights came on, the car just would not go above 50 miles per hour.  It felt like something was wrong with the gas pedal, I shut the car off, let it cool off for a while and then everything went back to normal, but in the morning it happened again.  I brought the car to the dealer and they had to replace a unit that "tells" the angle of the gas pedal. 

Good luck.

Hi I also just saw this exact problem yesterday on my GS400 (2000), and took it to the dealer today. Luckily, it gave me no problem while driving it there (about 10 miles). The dealer just called and said the code said there is something wrong with the throttle body, and they would have to replace it, which is about $1200! Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

The part that fails here is the TPS (throttle position sensor). It's mounted on the throttle body. It isn't that expensive, under $100 in most cars. If the dealer diagnosed a more complex problem with the throttle body, I'd ask for a second opinion. The throttle is not positioned via a cable from the accelerator but rather by a motor on the throttle body controlled by the ECM. The motor position is monitored by the TPS. TPS failure is common in all makes of cars due to the fact that it is a electromechanical part subject to wear everytime the throttle position changes.

Thanks for the reply. The dealer said that for this car (GS400) there is no way to replace the throttle sensor only, and the whole throttle body must be replaced.

Is there a way to prove or disprove this claim?

If you study the difference in construction of the TB for the GS300 and GS400, it certainly does look as if the TPS is integrated into the TB on the GS400. Bad Lexus engineers, bad :cries:

Everything you ever wanted to know about Toyota sensor operation and more!!

post-1-1089793258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes-

5000 miles ago I had problem. Throttle body was replaced. Well, the problem raised it's ugly little head again last night. Back to shop. Also my mirror don't always fold in. One or the other stays out. This was never fixed properly.

My '96 Toy LC was a better vehicle all around except for interior quietness.