Painting A New Color..

Hi, my gold '96 Lexus has a very poor paintjob as of yet. The plastic rear and front bumper is more of a silver color and no longer matches the rest of the car, I mean not even close. I am thinking of just getting the whole car repainted a new color. I was thinking midnight blue? (Any ideas on colors would help haha) But I would like some info on what the price might be, what types of paint I should ask for, overcoats, etc etc....if anyone has had this type of thing done before...

Thanks!

salix, you're looking at approx. $2000-$3000 for a full repaint of the car (either 1-tone or 2-tone), including parts and labor.

Another member I know from the CL forum has had his '95-'96 ES repainted a different color (Vapor Blue Metallic, an OEM factory color for the RX300), but I think his insurance paid (all or most) for it because of a previous accident.

Good luck on whatever decision you choose :)

Thanks, I have about a grand I'm willing to put into this thing, and theirs nothing really wrong with the car (meaning it's never been in an accident) so I don't have the insurance luxury haha!

Keep the Cashmere...don't switch to blue! :D I looked into getting my black LS repainted, and I was given a figure in the $2800-$3000 range; you could probably deduct a little from that estimate due to the size difference of LS v. ES. Personally, I'd take the $1k and get the bumpers repainted to match the rest of the car, and you'll be good to go! You'll be hard pressed to find a good paint job for $1k.

:cheers:

Your not going to get a descent paint job for a grand. If you want a nice one these guys have the closest guesstimates at around $3000 for an OK job. If you want nice you'll need closer to $6000. Too much involved, with prep and labor. Your looking at taking everything apart, windows out, emblems off, trim off, dent fixing, rust fixing, door jams, wet sanding etc.. and then putting it all back together, and polishing the defects out of the paint.

YOu may want to look at just doing to spot fixing for now? I thought about painting mine, and the car just isn't worth it. So, for now I just want the hood done.

Kinda sounds like yours may have been painted before? Sticking with the same color would keep costs down, if you do.

From what I know, the car was in a front end collison (nothing serious) before I bought it. It required the front right headlight to be replaced, the hood, and the front bumper all be replaced. The front must have looked much different for awhile. That was (to my knowledge) in 2000. The car was not garage kept, so over time the paint has worn and faded. That's why I am considering a whole new paint job. Afterward everything would look 10x better haha.

I'm the vapor blue guy. :) The tan interior sorta clashes with the color, but it's not that bad. I just need to get my car retinted with a smoke color because right now it's sort of a copper color (to match the old beige paint).

If all you have is $1,000 right now, I say save up till you have enough to get a good quality job done. If you pay $1,000 for a crappy job, you're gonna regret it later. That's my 2 cents.

oh and get graphite gray. :cheers: