Vibration (rattle) From Stop Until 5mph

Fishcca

Hello all-

My LX 450 with 75000 miles, makes a rattling noise these days. It only does this when I start movement from a standstill. After a few miles an hour it stops. Although I can not hear it very well, I think that it is doing the same thing after I am coasting for a bit and then redepress the gas pedal. Any one had a similar problem before. It took it to the dealership and they didn't find anything. I have the feeling that my mechanic was a newbee.

I also replaced (myself) a head lamp for 9 dollars that he wanted to charge me 90 to replace.... I will only take it to Sewell from now on...

Thanks for your ideas...

Fish

More info would be helpful Fish.

Where's the noise coming from? Front, rear, left side, right side?

Can you get a friend to stand outside and help pinpoint the location of the rattle?

I had the same problem.

A bolt had fallen on to the engine brush guard. This cause a noise at a low speed. I could not hear the noise unless the LX was moving!

I took a RUBBER hammer and tapped on the brush guard until the bolt was found. Turns out there were two bolts.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

ps. I still am looking there the bolts go:)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I currently have the same problem with my 97LX and was told at the dealership that it is, in fact, the heat shield. I temporarily fixed the problem with a coat hanger. At the dealership, the tech removed the coat hanger and tightened the shield, but it is now worse than when it had the hanger. Now I am looking for a more permanent solution.

The cost for replacing the heat shield is about $350 + labor. A technician at the Lexus dealership said that removing this heat shield is another option. Does anyone have a view on this much less expensive alternative?

DE