Rx 300 Awd Driveline Noise

mschluns

i have a 2000 awd rx, i have what 2 dealers, 1 in chicago and 1 in davenport ia, told me was tire noise,too agressive of a tire, so i changed the tires to the original bridgestone dueller, made the noise worse. it sounds like a low growling with some vibration under the front feet, the noise starts at about 20 mph and becomes very annoying at about 40 mph, once the car gets to highway speed its much better but the pitch is different and more tolerable. i am about 100 miles from a dealer. would this be a warranty item if its in the driveline somewhere. thxs marty schluns

It's certainly worth a visit to the nearest dealership to find out. Do you hear it only under acceleration or all of the time? Do you notice it more 'under load' going into curves? Does it change "pitch" or is much less noticable if you drive on a newly paved (smooth) road? If the answer is "yes" to the last question, then it's almost definately your tires. If you hear the growling 'under load' in a curve, it would most likely be a wheel bearing. I had that very problem with my Acura Legend. Fairly cheap fix. How many miles does your RX have on it?

50,000 miles on the car, with the new factory bridgestone tires the noise is easier to hear,its steady and the one thing i noticed is that when going about 35-40 and then coming to normal stop the noise is their but the growling turns to more of a rumbling sound until about 5 mph. on take off it reappears at about 20 mph.

I would swear it was your tires, even though I see you've bought new ones. Whatever it is (other than the tires, of course), it would surely be covered under the power train warranty so I'd make an appointment soon.

• 3 weeks later...

my 99 RX300 AWD is also having the same issue from rear right wheel area. I took it to local tire dealer "DirectTire" today. They said it's tires which has only 30K miles on it. So I paid $218 to replace both rear tires and I as I was driving back home the noise is still there. I called the shop back as I was driving, he says now that it may be wheel bearing causing the problem. He is going to call me back with an estimate.

What get's me is that it's still a guess. Don't they be abe to visually inspect the car and tell me if in fact it is "wheel bearing"?

frustrated!!!

-Srinivas :angry: