Worn Brake Pads

In my '97 LS owners manual it shows that if a light comes on that looks like and "O" with some dashes around it, than your brake pads are worn . They call it a "Brake Pad Wear Limit Warning Light." I know on my car there are 2 sensors both on the right side brakes (one front one rear). You don't want to let your brakes get that worn down, the sensors are about $70-80 each and must be replaced if the light comes on.

So, you should replace the brakes before the light comes on, so the sensors wouldn't mess up?

One of my friends has a GS and the car was making funny noises when applying the brakes and the mechanic said that the car needed new brakes but the warning light didn't come on, he replaced the brakes and now the car is back to normal. How does the sensors work? He said there weren't any wires or any other thing with and around the brakes!

So, you should replace the brakes before the light comes on, so the sensors wouldn't mess up?

Yes, replace brakes BEFORE the light comes on. The light comes on when ther is very little time before you are metal to metal. Change the pads before the sensor makes contact with the rotor, it saves you $$. B)

Yes, replace brakes BEFORE the light comes on. The light comes on when ther is very little time before you are metal to metal. Change the pads before the sensor makes contact with the rotor, it saves you $$. B)

What is this e-brake stuff ??? The e-brake is a hand operated brake that is NOT DESIGNED to provide normal stopping for the car. It is only to provide wheel locking/braking in an emergency situation. The rear shoes are really thin and should last forever, hopefully. The pads, all 4 on my SC have mechanical squeal sensors, which contact the rotor when the pads get to thin. they WILL NOT damage the STOCK rotor just be REALLY annoying. :angry:

Other models of Lexus like the BMW may have electronic sensors that can be damaged, and would have a dash light.

thx for all of your replys.

i guess i was too lazy to look in the owners manual but after redrockets

post i checked and it mentions the mech squeal sensors. since my car is

'93 vintage, it apparently does not have the electronic sensors.

will keep close tab on pads at my routine tire rotations.

L

• 2 weeks later...