Engine Light On

Hello people

Well of course I had to jinx myself the other day by boasting about how my beloved car has not given me one single problem since purchasing it a year ago!

Earlier this week the "Check Engine" light came on while I was driving. I just had an oil change the week prior - not sure if that's relevant.

So I checked the manual like a good girl, and proceeded to check the gas cap and all that good stuff -but to no avail. I concluded that it was time for a $450.00 tune-up at the dealer. :cries: Mind you I have barely put 5K miles on this car since I got it!

Now, I should add that with gas prices being ridiculously high out here in L.A. - I haven't been buying premium gas - as a matter of fact my gas tank hasn't been over a half of a tank full for about a month now - I have bad car karma any time I fill up my tank - but that's another story!

So this morning on my way to work - the light mysteriously went off! Just like that.

I got so excited I even opened the sunroof ;)

Any advice or insight as to why this would happen? Happy 4th everyone!! :cheers:

Hello people

Well of course I had to jinx myself the other day by boasting about how my beloved car has not given me one single problem since purchasing it a year ago!

Earlier this week the "Check Engine" light came on while I was driving. I just had an oil change the week prior - not sure if that's relevant.

So I checked the manual like a good girl, and proceeded to check the gas cap and all that good stuff -but to no avail. I concluded that it was time for a $450.00 tune-up at the dealer. :cries: Mind you I have barely put 5K miles on this car since I got it!

Now, I should add that with gas prices being ridiculously high out here in L.A. - I haven't been buying premium gas - as a matter of fact my gas tank hasn't been over a half of a tank full for about a month now - I have bad car karma any time I fill up my tank - but that's another story!

So this morning on my way to work - the light mysteriously went off! Just like that.

I got so excited I even opened the sunroof ;)

Any advice or insight as to why this would happen? Happy 4th everyone!! :cheers:

check engine light is mostly emission problems, take it to local shop that service mostly toyota, they will have the scanner to see what code # that causing the check engine light. Is the car feel any different right now? is it rough idle? it is really hard without the OBD Scanner, and really hate to guess unless you know from the scanner. But try this first, check your gasoline cap make sure is tight until make a click sound, then pull EFI fuse (it is located close to the battery label it Fuse)find EFI fuse which is above horn fuse ( not EFI relay). after you find it pull it out about 20 second then put it back. What it does is reset the computer.

If the gas cap is not the reason, the light will come back on sometimes after a few minutes or sometimes a few miles. If the gas cap that causing the problem than the check engine light will stay off.

The car is running perfectly fine - smooth as always - no rough idle or anything...is an emissions problem a serious condition?

I did completely fill up my tank this afternoon with premium gas ($35.00 - <_<)

• 2 weeks later...
It may be egr or charcoal canister related as those are pretty much the only know ES cel issues

you can listen to amf and use cheap gas in your car, but i wouldn't

SKPerformance-

I just received a P1133 on my '99 ES E300 and was hoping that you might have some advice on the problem. I have checked the gas cap and all appears to be fine. Is it possibly the oxygen sensors or charcoal canister???

Thanks!!!

I just received a P1133 on my '99 ES E300....Is it possibly the oxygen sensors or charcoal canister???

code P1133 is:

Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Responce Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1),

aka O2 Sensor

The charcol canister is used in the emissions control system. It is used to recover noxious vapors.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 93 es. The light would come on and after awhile it would go back out. Didn't do it at all in the winter. The car didn't run any differently.

I knew some of these sensors can be costly. I just got lazy. Finally decided to bite the bullet. The sensor it turned out to be was the one in the front top part of the engine. Very easy to replace. Takes about 5 min. If you take it to get service they probably would not charge you for labor because the 02 sensor cost between 150 to 200 dollars. Replace it yourself. You can always return it. But I'll bet you a dozen donuts that that is what the problem is. GOOD LUCK