At Slipping

My 93 SC300, 80K miles, with automatic trans is slipping occasionally when accelerating from a stop. The rpm's go up but the car doesn't move at first. This has happened about 4 times over a two month period. I took it in to an independent mechanic who works on Lexus' and he flushed and replaced the fluid. Now, a week later it happened again. I know nothing about automatic transmissions ... are there bands that can be adjusted? Anybody else have this problem occur? What's the next step?

Thanks,

Austin

My 93 SC300, 80K miles, with automatic trans is slipping occasionally when accelerating from a stop. The rpm's go up but the car doesn't move at first. This has happened about 4 times over a two month period. I took it in to an independent mechanic who works on Lexus' and he flushed and replaced the fluid. Now, a week later it happened again. I know nothing about automatic transmissions ... are there bands that can be adjusted? Anybody else have this problem occur? What's the next step?

Thanks,

Austin

The trany is made up of gears. You may need to have your trany servieced. this would mean that you car will be down for a day or two. i would say take the car to a transmission shop and have it looked at.

Did your mechanic replace the fluid with the correct toyota type IV tranny fluid? This is a must as some declare. I've never owned a auto toyota so I don't know but others maintain that this fluid is proprietary and that there is no replacement or cross reference for this fluid. If he did use the correct fluid, then a transmission issue may be at hand. As far as exactly what - that is to be determined. Is your transmission leaking any fluid? You may have to bite the bullet and take it in to a Lexus dealer - although I would recommend getting several opinions and if there is a good transmission shop available to you to utilize their services as well.

Yes, they used the Lexus specified ATF and there are no leaks. This shop works on a lot of Lexus' and have taken care of AC, brakes and 60K service for me in the past so the flush and fluid change was the least expensive option to start with. Spoke with them today and since they don't do extensive transmission repairs, they suggested I contact a shop that does all their transmission work. I was just curious to see if any one else has experienced with this problem on their SC's. I will report back when I have some news.

Thanks,

Austin

....I was just curious to see if any one else has experienced with this problem on their SC's. I will report back when I have some news.

Thanks,

Austin

Not a problem with that. You don't know unless you ask. ;) Good luck - and definitely let us know what the outcome is.

AJ

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to follow up as promised! The slipping problem was intermittant ... going away for weeks at a time. Lately it was occurring more frequently so took it to the transmission shop. They drove it but, of course, it didn't slip for them. They did get error codes for two transmission solenoids. The solenoids were replaced, car test driven and no more transmission error codes are showing up. Two weeks later and no more slipping (fingers crossed) and the acceleration is much quicker. It appears the malfunctioning solenoids were robbing power and making the car generally sluggish.

Cheers,

Austin

wah? nu uuuuu. :P

There is too, I seen it.

This is for the 92-99 SCs? I though the only 6sp available was on the Toyota Supra 97+. <_< Did you see a 97 supra 6 speed?

Ya gotta swap it man. The TT 6 speed is called the getrag or gertrag (gertrude?) is it a ZF tranny? Anyways, yea it works. Our member quickturbo is just the most recent guy I know of to do it. Lots - err, at least a few people have done it. Not to say going from auto to manual will be a fun thing to do. If it's an auto car with lots of power, I'd do a th400.