Help! Need Advice - Bad Brake Job By Monro Muffler

I had my brake pads replaced by some guys at Monro Mufffler & Brake, after the attempted repair, my brake pedal went all the way to the floor before the care stopped. I had this diagnosed at the lexus dealership and they found the Power Booster Assembly ($2600) was damaged. What could they have done to cause this problem?? I need expert advice and will compensate on real expert help due to a court case I have on Wed Jul. 7th for this matter. Lexus stated they have no sayso as to what caused the problem, because upon bringing the vehicle to them..they dont know what the guys at Monroe did before changing the brakes...no one's owning up at Monro.

Thanks for any help and serious expert help will be replied to/contacted

I would have to wonder, damaged in what way? Lexus should be able to hypothesize what caused the damage they have found. The brake boosters are very robust units made to withstand very high hydraulic pressures and operate without fault in harsh conditions. It is not easy to damage them.

In any case, if you did not immediately bring this problem to the attention of the service manager at the Monroe chopshop, you will have a difficult time providing proof that the problem was a result of the work done at that shop. If you left the shop and did not make the service manager aware of it, they will most likely claim "everything was fine when the customer left."

In my personal experience, I have found the best way to make a case is get everything in writing. Surely the Monroe shop has insurance against such accidential damage. Your lawyer will need to contact the insurance company providing the coverage for the shop and work on the details. You will have to provide some such evidence that the problem did not exist before you came into the shop and did exist upon the completion of your service. Such evidence may be found in the written work order you may have received at the Monroe shop. Some chain servicers have a section on their work orders that note existing damage of problems visable or noticed prior to or during the service of your vehicle. If such a section exists and no problems are indicated, you may argue that the damage occured to your vehicle while it was "under their care" so to speak.

If you recently had the car serviced (or better yet inspected) by another shop, you may call on them to testify that they noticed no problem with the brakes when the car was in their shop. Of course, they would have to have driven the vehicle while it was there to provide that information.

If you immediately went to the Lexus dealer (or called with your complaint) after you noticed the problem, you should have that dated work order available as well. The date noted should best be the same day that the service was performed at Monroe.

It is also vaugely possible, that your integrated brake booster assembly is in fact not damaged, but there is some other cause of the problem. It is entirely possible that you have air trapped in the brake hydraulic system. Bleeding the brakes completely, which can be done properly only with the Toyota hand-held diagnostic computer, may alleviate your problem. I would assume that the Lexus dealer you took your car to is reputable, and most likely has already done this. But in the slim case that something was overlooked, you may want to get a second opinion from another dealer.

Please keep us informed on this. It's good to know how people make out in cases like this.

I would flush the brake system and check to see if there is any air. Your lexus dealership trying to point fingers. BTW, why would you bring your lexus to a muffler shop? Did they try to fix it?

JPI

I am not an expert in any way, but here is a thought. I beleive the master cylinder booster is an elecric pump in your assembly that maintains a certain amount of pressure. As you brake and the pressure changes, the pump kicks in as needed. Lexus says they only sell the entire assembly and it is VERY expensive.

Is it possible that when they fixed your brakes, they changed the fluid level or got air in the system and now the MCB cannot restore the fluid pressure to a level needed to stop your car?

Like I said, I am not an expert- I am a victim of a similar situation. I hope you have better luck than I did... I still cannot sit down :(

You can find the full story here: http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff82160.htm As you'll see me battling it out with the customer service director.

Basically I took it there to have a simple brake pad replacement. I had no problems with them in the past....of course at a different location. The technicians were the problem.

I took the car to Lexus the same day they damaged the part and they bled it completely with their Scan Tool, which was a computer device, the result was the damaged part.

You can find the full story here: http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff82160.htm As you'll see me battling it out with the customer service director.

Basically I took it there to have a simple brake pad replacement. I had no problems with them in the past....of course at a different location. The technicians were the problem.

I took the car to Lexus the same day they damaged the part and they bled it completely with their Scan Tool, which was a computer device, the result was the damaged part.

You can't bleed the brake system with the Lexus scan tool. I'm stunt on this matter. Did the guy ever try to bleed the brake system? There is a proper way to bleed the air out. You can't just suck the brake fluid out. Please keep me updated on this matter. I wish you are close so I can take a look at your car.

JPI

The way I understand it, certain valves in the ABS modulator remain closed when you are manually bleeding the brakes. If there is air in the modulator valve body itself, there is no other way to get it out. Of course, this wouldn't happen unless the brake fluid reservoir was left go empty.