Changing Timing Belt... Can Anyone Help? ^^

npcomplete

Hi members,

I have '95 LS400, 90K miles, and I'm willing to change/replace timing belt.

Q1. When is an appropriate time to change timing belt? How do I know when to change and what to look for?

Q2. Can anyone publish full instructions for changing timing belt? (w/ pics. if possible? :P )

Q3. Where can I order all lexus parts? Any recommended sites? (if yes, URL?)

I would be much appreciated if someone could reply me with above questions answered. Thank you in advance. :D

90k is the right mileage.........

VMF has done this job

do a search on "timing belt replacement" - you'll find it.

" Lexetreme" is also a good search keyword.

GOod luck - I'm impressed you're willing to tackle it :cheers:

Hi members,

I have '95 LS400, 90K miles, and I'm willing to change/replace timing belt.

Q1. When is an appropriate time to change timing belt? How do I know when to change and what to look for?

Q2. Can anyone publish full instructions for changing timing belt? (w/ pics. if possible? :P )

Q3. Where can I order all lexus parts? Any recommended sites? (if yes, URL?)

I would be much appreciated if someone could reply me with above questions answered. Thank you in advance. :D

Timing belt jobs is not an easy job for beginner, I would recommend you to hire mechanic to work in your place and watch him as he does the job. Timing belt job is not the same as you changing regular belt.

VMF, you're probably going to get a lot of requests, but if you send me a copy of your procedures I'd appreciate it. I need to do mine in 5k mi and I'm pretty handy. I will also be replacing the water pump. If you did that to, was it difficult or easy?

fjstl@hotmail.com

Thank you.

i'm glad that ppl are actually gonna use my article. makes me feel good:) thats what this forum is all about - to help ppl:)

VMF,

Do you really need to replace the timing belt tensioner??? I just bought all of the parts from a dealer and he discouraged me from purchasing it. Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

kubys :cheers:

VMF,

Do you really need to replace the timing belt tensioner??? I just bought all of the parts from a dealer and he discouraged me from purchasing it. Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

its a precautinary matter, but i would recommedn chenging it ewbven if its not failing. check if oil is not leaking from it and if you can press it in. btw new tensioner would be bigger and its gonna be new. since u chanig everything why not change it as well?

VMF,

Do you really need to replace the timing belt tensioner???  I just bought all of the parts from a dealer and he discouraged me from purchasing it.  Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

its a precautinary matter, but i would recommedn chenging it ewbven if its not failing. check if oil is not leaking from it and if you can press it in. btw new tensioner would be bigger and its gonna be new. since u chanig everything why not change it as well?

I agree totally with VMF...........

Why take a chance on this part failing...it's cheap, you've already got the engine apart..........do it man!

I wouldn't trust what the dealer says.......maybe its a part that WILL FAIL and they're just hoping it does.......then they can guilt trip you into bringing the LS in for their shop to do and charge the big $$$!

The tensioner hardly fail so the dealership is right. When replacing the timing belt and water pump, you want to inspect the bearing to see if they are still ok. But it's your call. I'm just speaking from my own experience with lexus.

JPI

Wow Great92, that's the longest mileage I've ever heard and Toyota / Lexus go without a timing belt change. The previous "record" was a '92 Corolla that made it to 152,000 miles before the belt snapped while the owner was driving on the freeway.

Toyota / Lexus water pumps have lasted up to 250,000 miles or more if the Toyota Red coolant is used, but the average life is 150,000 - 200,000 miles.