Ls 400 Vs Ls 430

EDDIEM

WE HAVE OWNED A 99 LS 400 FOR 3 YEARS AND HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THE CAR AND MOST OF ALL THE RIDE THAT IS SILKY SMOOTH. WE HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING UPDATING TO A LS 430 AND RECENTLY DROVE A 2001 LS 430 AND WERE DISAPPOINTED IN WHAT WE FELT WAS NOT AS SMOOTH A RIDE AS WE HAVE HAD WITH OUR 400. THIS 430 WAS JUST THE STANDARD NOT THE SPORTS SUSPENSION OR 17 INCH WHEELS. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS?

MAKES ME WONDER IF I REALLY WANT TO UPGRADE TO THE 430.

I drove a 01 ls430 before I purchased my 99 LS..........(1 year ago this month)

I thought it (the 430) was quieter, more interior room for sure.....but the ride was pretty much the same as you suggested.

The ride is almost exactly the same, its a little quieter because the LS430 is more aerodynamic. The ride difference you felt could be tires and it could be air pressure in the tires.

The 04 model is a little more softly sprung to compensate for the standard 17 inch wheels, don't know what they're going to do next year when the 18s become standard...

Eddiem Writes:

"I'M NEW AT THIS SO THIS MAY BE A DUMB QUESTION BUT SHOULD I EXPECT A

MORE FIRM RIDE FROM THE 17 IN VS THE 16 IN WHEELS? AND IF SO WHY IS LEXUS

MOVING TOWARD THE LARGER WHEELS?"

Eddiem:

Please do not click on the Report to Moderator feature, unless you want one of us to look at something. Also, please comment without the Caps Lock on.

Thanks

-----------

You should expect a firmer ride using 17" rims and tires. In my opinion, the manufacturers are switching to the larger diametre wheel and tire combos because, the wheels look better, and better ride quality on good roads(Less pott-holes). If you live in a city where there is a lot of construction and the weather has destroyed the roads, i'd stick with your 16s. Less likely you'll damage your rim and tire.

I have heard some owners of the 01-04 LS430 state that the car does have a slightly firmer ride than the 1990-2000 LS400s.

I have discovered that my 1990 LS400 has a soft, floaty ride on the highway and interstate, (higher speeds), but it seems to be a little firmer over larger bumps at lower speeds- especially in the front. The rear seems to soak up all bumps fine, at all speeds, even if I would like them to be even softer. I am soon planning on having new struts (perhaps springs as well) on the front of my car.