Had Tires Balanced/rotated- Vibration Reduced, Etc

90LS400Lexus

I took my car earlier and had the tires re-balanced and rotated. The vibration problem I have been having was greatly reduced- particularly the occasional 30 mph vibration that vibrated the rear view mirror. In fact, the 30 mph vibration is gone the vibration is only around 50 mph now, up to about 60. It is still there, but noticable. I could probably live with this vibration with no problem, but since the cost of a new transmission mount is so low, I think I will go ahead and have it replaced.

I called the Lexus dealer a little while ago and spoke to the lady I usually talk to and she said it could be the front or rear mount. Price would be $60-$130, depending upon which one it was, but they would check the car first to see if it is actually the mounts. If it is, she said they would be able to tell which one it was. They are only going to charge me $25 to check it she said, but if I get them to repair it, they would not charge the $25. So, I spent $30 on the tires- which did smooth it out a lot, but I think it would be worth the additional $25 to take it to Lexus to find out for sure what this is. I have to have it there on Friday at 2pm. She said it was about a 1-2 hour job to replace. Thanks again for all of the replies to my questions concerning this vibration ordeal.

I had terrible vibration throughout my 91 LS 400. If you have a 90 LS 400 (the first line of Lexus LS 400's ever made) and if you have not ever gotten your mounts changed which would be both motor mounts and your transmission mount you should go ahead and do them ALL if you can afford them. I did it all in one day and you can't even tell the car is on. You'll see, trust me.

Don't bother with checking to see which mount is worse or bad. If they've never been changed then they're both broken including your transmission mount. The transmission mount you can actually do yourself. It's just a matter of unscrewing some bolts and !Removed! them back on.

If you get both motor mounts and your transmission mount changed it may cost you around $350. BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT.

Now I have vibration throughout my tires so I'm getting the new Lexus chrome rims with new Goodyear Eagle GA's (the stock tires the LS 400 came with back in 91) and all new ball joints.

Thanks. Hopefully Friday they will be able to tell me what the actual problem is. I will probably end up having to also change those engine mounts as well.

I also noticed today that my car is a little out of alignment. The car does not "pull", but the steering wheel is a little to the right on a straight road. I never had that re-alignment when I had the rear struts changed. A while back someone said that could be my vibration problem. Strange, because it seems that is when the vibration slowly appeared, but it was not suddenly- which is why I have no idea. When they change the transmission mounts, do they have to loosen anything on the driveshaft that requires them to do a re-alignment? Thanks.

No, the transmission mount is just held in place by a metal piece that can be screwed off. However, during the process it would be wise to have something holding the transmission pan and gasket in place so it will not move. The transmission mount can actually be seen very easily. It's directly under where your stick shift is at. It's merely some rubber being held together by metal. But they do a whole lot of magic. However, the engine mounts (motor mounts) are more metal but those crack over a period of many years. Get all your mounts changed and you'll notice something changes...DRAMATICALLY.

I also noticed today that my car is a little out of alignment. The car does not "pull", but the steering wheel is a little to the right on a straight road.

Have you checked your upper and lower ball joints and bushings? I also experience steering wheel not centered while driving straight. My wheel is a little to the left. If I let go of the wheel the car will lean to the right, even if I was on the left lane.

Toyota dealer told me it was the ball joints. At $1,200 to fix just the upper ball joint, it will stay this way.

No, the transmission mount is just held in place by a metal piece that can be screwed off. However, during the process it would be wise to have something holding the transmission pan and gasket in place so it will not move. The transmission mount can actually be seen very easily. It's directly under where your stick shift is at. It's merely some rubber being held together by metal. But they do a whole lot of magic. However, the engine mounts (motor mounts) are more metal but those crack over a period of many years. Get all your mounts changed and you'll notice something changes...DRAMATICALLY.

Thanks. She told me there are two transmission mounts. If it is below the shifter, do they get to it from inside the car- such as removing the console?

I also noticed today that my car is a little out of alignment. The car does not "pull", but the steering wheel is a little to the right on a straight road.

Have you checked your upper and lower ball joints and bushings? I also experience steering wheel not centered while driving straight. My wheel is a little to the left. If I let go of the wheel the car will lean to the right, even if I was on the left lane.

Toyota dealer told me it was the ball joints. At $1,200 to fix just the upper ball joint, it will stay this way.

I would bet they are bad, as I have the "clunk, clunk" sounds sometimes when I go over bumps in the roads. $1200- I agree- I guess it will stay that way. :rolleyes:

Just wondering- why is this repair so expensive? :unsure:

Also interesting is a thread I saw here today[i think] about the angles of the driveshaft getting out of spec if the motor,tranny, mounts go bad; I suppose due to the front getting lower. Never had heard of that before!!!!!

Keep us all advised anyway.

Thanks. Well, to update- I just got back in the door from the Lexus dealer. They had the car back for about an hour. According to them- good news. Motor mounts: good, transmission mounts: good, driveshaft: good. The problem according to them is that my tire(s) are "cupped", due to mis-alignment- and it would vibrate, no matter how many times they are balanced- so basically they are ruined. <_< He (service consultant) said they checked the steering components and they are all fine- however that puzzles me considering I have that occasional "clunk" from the front suspension area. He said that even the slightest mis-alignment would cause the tires to do this. As mentioned, this seemed to have happened shortly after I had those rear struts installed- WITHOUT getting the alignment- *even after everyone here said I should* - stupid me right? :wacko::rolleyes: :D He said they could align it if I wanted- or I could wait. Obviously would still have the vibration since the tires are cupped. We agreed that it would be best that I just get more use out of these $400 tires, (ruined- with 10,000 miles), if I could live with the vibration- which I can since it has lessened with the rotation/balance. Then I should have it aligned when I have new tires installed- which would be good, considering that I would like to have new struts placed on the front of it soon- which would also require alignment. I am glad to know it is nothing major. The best part is that they charged me $0.00- which was fine with me. :D Thanks again folks.

You could have the tires TRUED{shaved}; but you would have to rebalance. Sure should consider just the 2 front ones.They should have mentioned this where you got the tires balanced if it was that obvious; but perhaps they didn't have the equipment. This is generally old equipment; sometimes it is at old time dealers and truck tire dealers. Just make sure the tires are hot if you have done.

I also "X" rotate to eliminate feathering.

You could have the tires TRUED{shaved}; but you would have to rebalance. Sure should consider just the 2 front ones.They should have mentioned this where you got the tires balanced if it was that obvious; but perhaps they didn't have the equipment. This is generally old equipment; sometimes it is at old time dealers and truck tire dealers. Just make sure the tires are hot if you have done.

I also "X" rotate to eliminate feathering.

Well, I had it done at Wal-Mart tire and lube express- should that explain why they did not tell me? I just had them rotated and balanced the other day. The right front tire (was on the rear until the other day) is the worst worn, but they all still actually have good tread and a couple, the treads still look like new. I guess they would be OK for a car trailer or something. I may just get a little more use out of them and live with the vibrations for now.

Which part of the thread on the tires are worn? If It's worn on the inside but like new on the outside (same as mine), you have bad ball joints.

Two are still like new, but one that was on the rear (now on right front) has the most wear, but the wearing is even. He (Lexus service consultant) said they checked the suspension/steering and all is fine- which has me puzzled because I have that "clunk" when I hit bumps with the front suspension. He just said that are "cupped", which is why I have the vibration. :unsure:

thats odd. someone once told me that tires only get "cupped" on front wheel drive cars.... he was only about 22 so he was probably confused or something.

I have no idea. I have not heard. I was only repeating what the Lexus dealer service consultant told me yesterday. :unsure: