Check Engine Light

bruce

Diagnostic by the dealer indicated that O2 sensors are bad. I changed the sensors and rest the light but after two weeks of driving about 600 miles the light is back on. Car start fine and drive fine. Anyone knows what could be wrong?

Will appreciated any hints.

Thanks

;)

Are you sure that you tightened the gas cap enough. The number of miles traveled may coincide with 2 fillups, with the last one not having cap clicked several times. also, lower grade octane gas might be the problem.

Diagnostic by the dealer indicated that O2 sensors are bad. I changed the sensors and rest the light but after two weeks of driving about 600 miles the light is back on. Car start fine and drive fine. Anyone knows what could be wrong?

Will appreciated any hints.

Thanks

;)

Just like skperformance said....what code did the dealer tell you? there are two O2 sensor (bank 1 & bank2) one is located in the front by the manifold and one under the engine close to the catalic converter, if you did changed the front one than replace the other one. I hope that dealer give you the code because check engine light is not only cause by O2 sensor.

actyall in case you wanted to know jk

their are 3 o2 sensors

the rear and front exhuast banks and then after the cat to see if the cat is functioning properly.

you got me on this one too, sk.

I thought the 92 only had 2 O2 sensors, too. I thought the post-cat sensor didn't appear until the 1994 model.

hummph, learn something new every day.

steviej

actyall in case you wanted to know jk

their are 3 o2 sensors

the rear and front exhuast banks and then after the cat to see if the cat is functioning properly.

:P Thanks everyone.

Code from the dealer was 025, which is indicating the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor have problem. This Sensor is housed right after the air filter in the air intake assembly. It cost just about $629.00 (part cost only). I look through the web to see if I could find it cheaper anywhere else. However fond out you could buy it only from the dealer. But since this model year is as the Camry you could get the part from Toyota dealer about $30.00 less.

Thanks again.

I would never buy a Lexus again. If anyone considers buying this class of car they should look at BMW. Specially if you could by one with stick. Engine will go forever.

PS: There is only two O2 sensors on this model that's what the dealer told me.

Well Bruce if you're going to dump on Lexus because your 13 year old ES300 had a sensor problem thats your perogative. You think a 13 year old BMW is going to be more reliable you're in for a huge shocker. The engine might go forever but the electrical gremlins would burn the rest of the car to the ground long before then.

Cars get old, a 13 year old car is old even if it is a Lexus. I don't think a sensor malfunction for $600 is at all unreasonable for a 13 year old car. You can't expect it to be as reliable as a new one. Perhaps you should buy a less expensive but newer car next time.

Irritates the hell out of me, people buy decade plus old cars and then rag on the brand because they have little problems. Its ignorant, just like H8R said. "When you're looking at buying this class of car" Huh? You bought a 13 year old car...

Well Bruce if you're going to dump on Lexus because your 13 year old ES300 had a sensor problem thats your perogative. You think a 13 year old BMW is going to be more reliable you're in for a huge shocker. The engine might go forever but the electrical gremlins would burn the rest of the car to the ground long before then.

Cars get old, a 13 year old car is old even if it is a Lexus. I don't think a sensor malfunction for $600 is at all unreasonable for a 13 year old car. You can't expect it to be as reliable as a new one. Perhaps you should buy a less expensive but newer car next time.

Irritates the hell out of me, people buy decade plus old cars and then rag on the brand because they have little problems. Its ignorant, just like H8R said. "When you're looking at buying this class of car" Huh? You bought a 13 year old car...

SW03ES

Sorry for speaking of reality. Owned the car for past six years and all is been a money pits. Own a 1986, 325 BMW, driven over 300K, has many more sensor than Lexus. Only sensor been changed twice was coolant level sensor you could fix it by spending $30.00. For those of you interested on Lexus discount part check the following site. You would find great deals

http://www.toyotaandlexusparts.com/

Damn bruce i wish you posted before getting it fixed

There is a guy here who has an ES and justgot a MAF and it didn;t fix his problems so he would have sold it to you dirt cheap.

Sorry you don;t like the car, To each his own not all cars are equal but the 92-93 es wasn't the best of the ES models ,i wouldn;t buy one . My cousin is always fixing his 93 and his brothers 92 with something wrong every 6 months or so.

Compared to my 94 i haven't fixed anything but a ripped cv boot and power steering pump.Other than that it is running stronger than most but i do maintance vigilantly even if i change the oil every 6 months