92 Bogs At Low Rpm's

I have been trying to nail down a problem with my 92 that has so far stumped me.

if i lay on the gas the engine will hesitate and surge slightly until the tach hits 4k rpm. then it takes off with a sudden jolt of power.

it only does this if you are accelerating heavily (like over 50% down on the accelerator)

the problem is more pronounced when the engine has not fully warmed up but still exists at operating temp.

it exists at any grade of fuel. i ran 3 tanks of each grade in it with no difference.

my car has a new air filter, new plugs, new wires, new fuel filter. the tranny and gearbox were flushed 5k miles ago and the car shifts fine. it has 103k miles on it.

i want to take it to a dealer and see if hooking it up to the computer will shed any light on the situation. but I don't want to get suckered into "lets try this out" and have the situation not change.

to me it seems like it may be running rich. the only things i can think of are leaks in the intake (which i have inspected and can see nothing obvious) or perhaps the valves need to be adjusted. but thats all i can come up with.

any ideas?

it has little to do with what gear i am in and more to do with the throttle being open at low rpm's. it will bog in 1st just as much as in 3rd. really bad low end torque.

when the tach hits 4k the bogging instantly goes away

I still didn't ask you if it does that in drive.

I asked if it revs normal in Netural.

I understand what you are saying but in order to troubleshoot a problem you need to examine all parts of the car and not assume anything.

well, it's harder to detect this effect when the car is in neutral because you have to really stomp on the gas. making the time you are under 4k rpm pretty short.

i would have to say that i can detect the hesitation slightly...but the throttle response is fine.

I am having the exact same problem with my manual transmission '92 ES300. I find the problem occurs more often when my fuel tank is below 1/2. When I am close to empty, it bogs even if I don't !Removed! on the accelerator. It is so bad (when almost empty) that my caar bogs after every stop sign, causing my wheels to squak!

If anyone can think of a remedy, it would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan

wow, you are truly amazing!

replaced the cap and rotor and the problem went away. a $14.72 fix!

it wasn't cracked, but the points were pretty corroded. it may have gotten wet at some point in its life...

i really appreciate you solving this prob...if you are ever in dallas, i owe you dinner :cheers:

no problem

i have family in fort worth area but haven't been in 10 years atleast.

just need to try and localize the problem and see where it goes which is why i mentioned the tranny first

glad it worked , now if you could only convince my wife i am amazing

lmao

cleaning a cap and rotor can help but you are removing metal used for electrical transfer which can cause carbon tracking from arcing over enlarged contacts.

for $15 by a new cap and rotor and get it 100% in spec and you will get better performance and milage , if needed check your wires and plugs also