Clicking/ticking Noise From Engine Compartment

rictorsan

I have a '00 LX470 with 67k miles. I've just started hearing a ticking/clicking noise from the lower left (driver) side of the engine compartment. it cycles with acceleration, but seems to subside a bit after warming up.

My friend (an amateur mechanic) told me it could be the exhaust manfiold gasket ?

Any ideas ?

Rictorsan

Sorry for your problem. I've got the same vehicle 2000 lx470 76,000. build date 00/2000. I'll take a listen to mine when it's running again!

Problems so far...Transmission self-destructed @ 72,000, Lexus paid for the Transmission ($2,800), I paid for the labor ($800). "VCS" light came on @ 72,500 and lexus say I need a new throttle body ($1,400), saving up for this one. Starter/solenoid died last week @ 76,400 ($1,100). Look out.

Good luck!

Ok, so I owe my friend a beer for that diagnosis. Any thoughts on:

1. costs to fix

2. Will I do any/further damage if I continue to drive the vehicle?

3. Is this a straightforward fix I can bring to a local mechanic, or should I bring to the dealer (90 miles away).

thanks much

rictorsan

:huh:

Any thoughts on: (damaged manifold gasket)

1. costs to fix

2. Will I do any/further damage if I continue to drive the vehicle?

3. Is this a straightforward fix I can bring to a local mechanic, or should I bring to the dealer (90 miles away).

can any of you armchair mechanics help out here...Thanks

I have an 00' Tundra that ticks really loudly when the engine is under stress. They both have the same V-8. There are two different types of ticking these engines are known to do. Not sure what either of them are but I could find out. One of them is normal with these engines and isn't a problem and the other is bad to continue to run your engine. I would have you car looked at.

Steve