What's The Best Wax?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used 2 use maguires polish and canuba wax but i started 2 use there new line call nxt and man i am just in love. goes on so easy and comes off just as easy, combined with there spray wax inbetween its easy and gives great results.

I'll second the Meguires NXT Tech Wax. Like Bluelex said, goes on and comes off easy, and leaves an excellent finish. Glossy, smooth and slippery. I have some Zaino products in the garage that I have not used yet, and this is due to NXT working so good and being so easy to use. Some day I'm gonna do the Zaino, but for now NXT works very well. :cheers:

moved to the detailing forum

the best wax is dependent on how much you want to spend

$1900 and get zymol's concours wax that has to be rolled in your hand and heated then rubbed in by hand not cloths,it also comes in a crystal jar refillable for life.

Meguiar's NXT is definitely my choice of wax but it is NOT a one step product. You should at the very least Clay and follow with a cleaner like MPPC or Deep Crystal Cleaner before applying. Very easy on and off. After applying keep your car dry for at least 12 hours to allow the polymers to bond to the paint. Water is still beading profusely 68 days after I applied NXT Tech Wax to my RX330.

559NXT_68-1.jpg

559NXT_68-2.jpg

Actually NXT works quite well as a one step product as it has moderate cleaners and abrasives in it. Its a "cleaner wax" basically, you can even remove swirls with NXT and a polishing or cutting pad. If you've already prepped the paint beforehand then I'd always reccomend a cleaner-free last step product instead of NXT.

Actually NXT works quite well as a one step product as it has moderate cleaners and abrasives in it. Its a "cleaner wax" basically, you can even remove swirls with NXT and a polishing or cutting pad. If you've already prepped the paint beforehand then I'd always reccomend a cleaner-free last step product instead of NXT.

You know SW03ES, that question has been brought up a few times in the Meguiar's forum and here is their official response.

Q. Can NXT Tech Wax be considered a cleaner/wax?

A. No, the cleaners in NXT Tech Wax are very slight. It is in no way as aggressive as any of the Meguiar’s Cleaner Waxes.

NXT Tech Wax is meant for finishes in new, good or excellent condition. It is not formulated to address a wide spectrum of paint defects such as oxidation, whereas a cleaner wax is.

The Tech Wax has cleaners to help eliminate fine scratches and aid in the adhesion of the protectant and produce an optically clear finish.

When NXT first came out they claimed it had NO cleaners. It was only after pressure from another detailing community after they had tested it that Meguiars apologized for being incorrect and started stating it had cleaners. Remember that Meguiars isn't an unbiased source of information, they are a company designed to make a profit. They originally billed NXT as cleaner-less and having toi admit that it actually has fairly strong cleaning abilities would be very emberassing for them. Trust me, it has fairly significant cleaners in it. Like I said, you can remove tar and sap and even remove some swirls with NXT. Doesn't make it a bad product but it IS basically a cleaner wax.

I've used NXT to remove oxidation and paint defects, so its pretty clear to me that NXT is a cleaner wax. Other sealants I've used including Poorboys EX which has slight cleaners to aid in bonding will not remove defects like NXT does.

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like Meguires NXT is the winner. The last time I waxed my car was with Megures Gold Class and it worked quite well. Well thats the best stuff I could find at Autozone. <_< So where can I find NXT?

When NXT first came out they claimed it had NO cleaners. It was only after pressure from another detailing community after they had tested it that Meguiars apologized for being incorrect and started stating it had cleaners. Remember that Meguiars isn't an unbiased source of information, they are a company designed to make a profit. They originally billed NXT as cleaner-less and having toi admit that it actually has fairly strong cleaning abilities would be very emberassing for them. Trust me, it has fairly significant cleaners in it. Like I said, you can remove tar and sap and even remove some swirls with NXT. Doesn't make it a bad product but it IS basically a cleaner wax.

I've used NXT to remove oxidation and paint defects, so its pretty clear to me that NXT is a cleaner wax. Other sealants I've used including Poorboys EX which has slight cleaners to aid in bonding will not remove defects like NXT does.

Wow, how do I respond without appearing to be dumping on you, SW03ES? With all due respect I strongly disagree with your characterization of NXT and of the Meguiar's company.

[RANT ON]

You may wish to disregard the information provided by the manufacturers of products if you wish but in fact, they know more about what is actually in their products than you or I do. So if you call a product a cleaner/wax and someone reads your post and buys the product and doesn't get the cleaning ability you seem to think is there, they will be disappointed in that product and perhaps Meguiar's.

As for removing swirls, I've removed light swirls with nothing more than #26 with a PC, you see the pad provides abrasion and these products typically contain fillers which will hide light swirls.

I've also had NXT Tech Wax since it was introduced and the lab sample before that. Meguiar's has never advertised NXT to be cleanerless. Are you confusing the information provided through MP when it was a lab sample with Meguiar's official product information?

BTW, I've been detailing vehicles for a bit over 45 years. I have used a lot of different products over the years and I'd definitely not reach for NXT if I wanted a cleaner/wax product anymore than I'd reach for PBEX. NXT, like #16, #26 or most LSP products will remove road tar and sap with a PC. Perhaps you would classify them a cleaner/wax too? I'm on my 3rd bottle of NXT and have applied it on a number of my customer's vehicles. Clearly, NXT has very minimal cleaning ability. If you don't prep your finish properly, NXT, or any other LSP product, will have a sub-par shine and a very short life.

You say "Remember that Meguiars isn't an unbiased source of information, they are a company designed to make a profit." Well Meguiar's has been in business since 1908 and offer a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. Over the years, I've come to realize that I can trust Meguiar's products to perform as advertised and provide good value for both the detailer and the customer. I don't believe I have ever been lied to by them as your statement seems to elude.

Seriously, I don't think your post was fair and unbiased regarding Meguiar's, and not at all appropriate for a moderator.

[RANT OFF]

You detail cars and use off the shelf products on customers cars ?

I mostly use a lot of the D and Pro lines but NXT is not (yet?) available in those lines. In my short experience with it, NXT works better than #20, is less expensive and goes farther. I even have a couple of customers who ask for it by name now.

I retired a year ago in February so I only do a few of my long time customers/friends cars a week now and only during the warmer months. I spend the colder months in Florida so in essence I take the winter off. I do bring my PC and a small supply of detailing stuff to FL with me. The wife doesn't like that much though.:chairshot:

LOL, I love people that get so wrapped up in company's assertations that they cannot see past them. If you'd like I will go to the detailing community I mentioned and get the quotes about NXT being cleanerless. Everyone was so mad when they tried it there was about a 300 post thread basically lynching the poor Meg's guy that posts there. Mike Phillips, great guy but he got bad information about NXT from his source which was of course Meguiars.

Whats extra funny is that I never said anything bad about Meguiars or NXT. I just said they are out to make a profit, which is of course true. They were out to make a profit in 1908, and they're out to make a profit now. There is no reason to expect them to give out information that doesn't increase their product sales. In short, they cannot be trusted. This is true of all companies. I use and enjoy many Meguiars products INCLUDING NXT. Companies lie, its what they do. Companies staff entire departments with no other purpose but to lie to the consumer and trick them into buying their product. They're called advertising and public relations.

As for removing swirls, I've removed light swirls with nothing more than #26 with a PC, you see the pad provides abrasion and these products typically contain fillers which will hide light swirls.

Oh, is that how it works? I completely didnt pick up on that in the 7 years I've owned my PC. Whoops! (sarcasm)

Please, don't talk to me as if I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been detailing cars for 10 years and have used dozens and dozens of products. I know what I'm doing. Don't be arrogant it weakens your position.

FYI I did a Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday and removed swirls on 1/2 the hood with a PC NXT and a cutting pad, the swirls remained removed after a 50/50 IPA/Water spray to remove the sealant and any fillers. If the product did not contain fairly significant cleaners that would not be possible. A cutting pad and Poorboys EX on the opposite side did nothing to remove the swirls. It hid them, but they returned after the IPA/Water wipedown. These swirls were extremely extremely light, but NXT removed them and Poorboys EX did not. What other explanation can there be other than NXT contains some sort of cleaner EX does not that rounded off the edges of the swirls making them invisible...a cleaner.

Like I said before and you failed to read I really like NXT and use it almost exclusively on customers cars as it saves the polishing step when applied with a white pad. On my cars though that get extensive prepwork and are marring free before sealing I do not use NXT, I use products without cleaners.

As for my post being unfair and biased? LOL How? How am I biased? Like I said I use many Meguiars products and enjoy them INCLUDING NXT, I have no stock in any detailing company nor do I know anyone personally that works for any detailing company. How am I biased? As for innapropriate for a moderator LOL, that is absurd. I can't make a statement about a product or a company simply because I'm a moderator? Please read the intro to this forum at the top of this page you will see that I do not allow members to lord products over others (meaning there is no one best product) and encourage active discussions about the properties and quality of products and the companies that make them.

If you can't deal with some discussion and opposing viewpoints about products then stay out of my detailing forum.

If you can't deal with some discussion and opposing viewpoints about products then stay out of my detailing forum.

Lets see...You said NXT was a one-step product. I said it wasn't and Meguiar's also said it is not. You intimated that Meguiar's will say anything to make a buck. You did not say all companies do this so why are you surprised that I would suspect that you are biased? You singled out one company in your post.

It would appear to me that you are the one who can't deal with some discussion and opposing viewpoints.

None-the-less, I'll take you up on your offer. Please remove me form the Lexus Owners Forum. I have no time to argue the attributes of a $15 bottle of wax or the propensity of it's manufacturer to lie to it's consumers to make a buck with an overly sensitive moderator.

I thought this forum was a community for discussing and sharing information about detailing and Lexus ownership. My mistake. It apparently is about agreeing with it's mods.

Been a real pleasure.

Jim

It apparently is about agreeing with it's mods.

im beginning to suspected that too.

i can't stand it when some fool just argress with the mods when he/she doesn't have any idea of what the hell the discussion is about and just tries to gain points.

for the past few weeks i have noticed that LOC is begining to become an ordinary club.

"in the memory of the good old L.O.C."

what a shame..........

If you can't stand the heat get out of L.O.C. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SHame you feel that way NAT

Opinions are free, take them for what they are worth.

Relax and learn , don't assume you are always right and agree when you aren't.

Jim you get too hyper too easily, you need to get into retirement gear more.

I had no problem with your opposing viewpoints, I do have a problem with you insinuating that I don't know what I'm doing simply because I disagree with you. You need to READ my posts, I think maybe 2 or 3 times so you'll get it. I never said NXT was a one step product, I reccomended it to the member who started this thread because he wanted a simple wax job, out of what was being discussed NXT works THE BEST as a one step product. I never said it was or was designed as such. Its a consumer grade product that is easy to use and gives the best look with no prep I've ever seen. What I said was meant to be a COMPLIMENT to NXT. You however got defensive and jumped down my throat. Don't pin this on me, you started this *BLEEP*ing match between us. I was content to agree to disagree. I don't want people to blindly agree with me or anyone else, I actually said that in the forum introduction (which I'm sure you didnt take the time to read). As a matter of fact, I was enjoying our little debate about NXT until you had to go and make it personal towards me. This has NOTHING to do with me being a moderator. The only one talking about me being a moderator here is you, YOU decided to make that an issue. I am first and foremost an LOC member and I am entitled to an opinion too.

I'm not going to remove you from the LOC, if you want to be childish and take your ball and glove back home because the "mean ol moderator" stood up for himself when you cut him down you can go right ahead. I'm entitled to my opinions too, you suggested otherwise and you suggested that I was not an experienced detailer, I corrected you. Simple as that.

And Nat, having read your posts and the tone you take with people, and seeing reports of your posts being moderated come in if LOC is in decline you are part of its problem, not me. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen you post in here so I wonder just who'se trying to get the points? Methinks its you. In your 14 posts you've never missed an opportunity to be a jerk to somebody.

None-the-less, I'll take you up on your offer. Please remove me form the Lexus Owners Forum.

Been a real pleasure.

Jim

So sad to see Jim go :lol:

Just think if everytime someone disagreed with another member that person left this forum. There wouldn't be anyone left. Opinions are like certain body parts, everyone has one.

Man, this is better than days of our lives. I want to second what SW03ES said....it is often the opposing viewpoints & the discussions that we get because of them that makes this thing great. I like posting a question and seeing all of the various replies I get....sometimes it is straight-forward and sometimes it is lengthy & diverse...but that is what is so great!! IMO, we usually end up learning a lot and really get down to the nitty gritty. Just my 2 cents worth!