Not Starting?#?#**?

lexzmax

Oh, goodness! :whistles: My 16-year old son just got a great deal on a 1990 LS 40o (yeah, I wish my first, or second or fifth car were that) but now and then, that sweet car won't start.!!...could it be key programming., anti-theft mysteries... battery, clicking my red-heeled shoes and facing north or what? :magic: It's such a great car..we've grown so in love with it... (named Luther, of course!:>)) Help, please, if you can any Lexus lover! :cheers:

No, it's most likley the starter. I just bought a '90 LS400 last week and the previous owner told me the starter was going out. It's located down by the exhaust manifold intake. There's a lot of labor involved. You are going to get $500 - 800 quotes parts & labor. I found a Lexus mechanic in my area that will do it for me on the weekend at his place. With starter, I'll still pay around $400. Have other things replaced when doing that job since there is a lot of other things to take off while getting to the starter.

Hey.. thanks, ToddL, But everything was fine... no signs of trouble starting... so that's why I think it's the anti-theft/and/or key, rather than starter... all dash lites go on; other electrical things work, but no click, not whrrrr, no nothing. Boy, we miss it already!! :( writewoodz@charter.net

• 1 year later...
I found a Lexus mechanic in my area that will do it for me on the weekend at his place.

How can I contact this mechanic, or another certified Lexus mechanic in the greater Seattle area who will work privately during his off-hours?

Any recommendations? Suggestions? Anyone?

Could be the starter solenoid relay which is, I believe, on passenger side under hood toward the front. That's where you would hear the click of the relay. Loose or corroded battery cables can give the same indications..enough juice for lights but not enough for the starter. But you should hear the relay click. the relay location should be in the owners manual.Sometimes a good whack will clear the carbon and get you started. Sometimes :chairshot: