Reset Stereo Security Code

jahon

I was wondering how i can reset the code on my stereo. I have a 1993 lexus es300 and the dealership said they would charge me $60 to do it!! Is there a way i can reset the code or is there a master code anyone can give me? thanks.

No. they have you by the B____s. I went through this discussion on another board. The dealer has a "Flash Reader" that tells them the existing code. Then they can set a new code.

I even went to a dealer, with the title, when I bought a used Lexus, and asked them for the code. No way-They wanted money. I even called the previous owner-He hung up on me. I did this even though the radio was working fine.

I did buy a $10 device at Checker Auto Parts that I plug into the cigarette lighter if I have to disconnect the battery. It keeps the computer charged so it doesn't lose the radio code.

Curiously, most of the respondents on the LS400 discussion board did not think it was irresponsible for Lexus to control the codes. They all must live near the dealer, and have a lot of free time and extra money, too...

No. they have you by the B____s. I went through this discussion on another board. The dealer has a "Flash Reader" that tells them the existing code. Then they can set a new code.

I even went to a dealer, with the title, when I bought a used Lexus, and asked them for the code. No way-They wanted money. I even called the previous owner-He hung up on me. I did this even though the radio was working fine.

I did buy a $10 device at Checker Auto Parts that I plug into the cigarette lighter if I have to disconnect the battery. It keeps the computer charged so it doesn't lose the radio code.

Curiously, most of the respondents on the LS400 discussion board did not think it was irresponsible for Lexus to control the codes. They all must live near the dealer, and have a lot of free time and extra money, too...

It's probably a fair bet that most LS owners have more money than ES owners. Not always, but on average.

As for controlling the codes, I don't have any particular problem with it. Back in the days before stereos had codes, I woke up one morning to find a brick inside my Toyota with glass everywhere - and my expensive stereo system gone. To whatever extent using codes has reduced theft, I'm all for it.