Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 2

skyview

Greetings

Earlier this week I decoded the check engine light error code to be P0430. I checked my K&N air filter (only 3 months old - 6000K miles) and discovered it was filthy. I replaced the filter with a stock filter from the stealer. I disconnected the battery terminal for an hour and started the car.

The check engine light was off and I noticed an increase in power. Two hundred miles later, the check engine light came back on.

Any ideas what could be causing the light to come back on?

I haven't noticed a loss of power or hear any thing out of the ordinary. Will I damage any components if I keep driving the car? I average about 100 miles a day. If it's an O2 sensor, what's the average repair bill?

See attached for detailed trouble code anaylsis.

Thanks In Advance!

p0430.pdf

this is one of your oxygen sensors going bad i would recommend taking it out and cleaning it, also there is a specific test that will show if the sensor operates properly, but first take it out and clean it.

I had a similar problem with my gs and it turned out to be a faulty cat and the dealer replaced it for NO CHARGE . They are warrantied throught the factory up to 80,000 mi. Mine was also bank 2 cat.

The purpose of the second O2 sensor is to monitor the efficiency of the cat it is behind. The code indicates that the cat is not working properly. A certain amount of time must pass with the cat out of it normal range for the code to appear. It isn't the O2 that's faulty - it is doing its job indicating that the CAT is faulty.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings

Earlier this week I decoded the check engine light error code to be P0430. I checked my K&N air filter (only 3 months old - 6000K miles) and discovered it was filthy. I replaced the filter with a stock filter from the stealer. I disconnected the battery terminal for an hour and started the car.

The check engine light was off and I noticed an increase in power. Two hundred miles later, the check engine light came back on.

Any ideas what could be causing the light to come back on? 

I haven't noticed a loss of power or hear any thing out of the ordinary. Will I damage any components if I keep driving the car? I average about 100 miles a day. If it's an O2 sensor, what's the average repair bill?

See attached for detailed trouble code anaylsis.

Thanks In Advance!

I have the same problem at 127K miles. I have an after market exhaust with the same Y and 3 cat system with the sensors in identical locations. Nice improvement in the exhaust system :cheers: . Recently, I replaced both cats off the manifold thinking they were the culprits of the threshold issue :geek: - unfortunately, the light came back on :censored: :chairshot: . How can I test the oxygen sensors? Any idea what my next steps should be? I will need to pass smog in the next year, so I would like to resolve this. Thanks.

there is a procedure on testin the o2 sensor. pm me with ur email and i will send u pix. also can u tell me more about ur modified exaust? can you make pix of the system? i was thinking about this myself and i'm really curious about this project

this is one of your oxygen sensors going bad i would recommend taking it out and cleaning it, also there is a specific test that will show if the sensor operates properly, but first take it out and clean it.

How do you clean the sensor?

JPI