Gently Swaying Back & Forth At 65mph

I just bought a 1997 LX450 last Saturday. It has 60K miles and in excellent condition except for an unusual Swaying motion from side to side when at Interstate highway speeds above 55MPH. It doesn't really bother me too much, probably because of my emotional attachment to finally having one (after a long wait). However, my wife, my neighbor, and my children have brought it up every time we get on the Interstate. Is this normal? Have any of you experienced the same problem.....or have any clues as to what may be the problem, if any?

No, not normal. We have a stock 450 as well (the wife's). No side to side swaying. It rides real floaty though -- sorta like a cadillac, but not as cush.

Mine...I beat all the floatiness out of mine... :rolleyes:

:chairshot: I believe I have isolated it to the shocks and springs. Worn out or too soft. I am going to take Dougjohn's advise from an April forum on shocks and replace them with stiffer, aftermarket, 3rd party shocks and springs. Sorry for the original, stupid question, I sent the question before a good, thorough investigation..... :chairshot:

I just bought a 1997 LX450 last Saturday. It has 60K miles and in excellent condition except for an unusual Swaying motion from side to side when at Interstate highway speeds above 55MPH. It doesn't really bother me too much, probably because of my emotional attachment to finally having one (after a long wait). However, my wife, my neighbor, and my children have brought it up every time we get on the Interstate. Is this normal? Have any of you experienced the same problem.....or have any clues as to what may be the problem, if any?

YES, this is a well-known issue with the LX450 shocks. Most dealerships will at least acknowledge that it is a known issue. It is because of the too-soft LX shocks. Solution: relplace the shocks with standard Landcruiser shocks, or change tires to a a tire with a stiffer sidewall (I'm using Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos and they solved the problem 90% but I kept the LX shocks because it is too expensive to changeover)

...aftermarket, 3rd party shocks and springs...

Check with the guys at SleeOffroad. They're great guys to work wiith and will ask the right questions to help you with your suspension needs.

They sell a set of OME shocks/springs that will give you about a half-inch more clearance than stock (assuming you want to stay at or close to your current height). The ride and control will improve dramatically. It won't be as floaty as it once was, but will give much more maneuverability and control.

Other shocks/springs will work too -- I'm just a happy customer of slee offroad and am very please with my OME set up (although mine's not stock height B) )

Check with the guys at SleeOffroad. They're great guys to work wiith and will ask the right questions to help you with your suspension needs.

I second that.

The first time I took my pre-owned 97 LX450 out on the highway, I noticed it. Everyone on the landcruiser forums new exactly what I was talking about. The easy fix is to replace with landcruiser shocks.

I suggest what I want to do. Replace the stock shocks and springs with the OME shocks and springs. It is pricey, but everyone that has done it swears by it. They say the ride is SO much better.

• 9 months later...

Check with the guys at SleeOffroad.  They're great guys to work wiith and will ask the right questions to help you with your suspension needs.

I second that.

The first time I took my pre-owned 97 LX450 out on the highway, I noticed it. Everyone on the landcruiser forums new exactly what I was talking about. The easy fix is to replace with landcruiser shocks.

I suggest what I want to do. Replace the stock shocks and springs with the OME shocks and springs. It is pricey, but everyone that has done it swears by it. They say the ride is SO much better.

I am having the same problem and have replaced the shock and the truck still sways. I have been told the LX 450 does this and the landcruisers do not, also because I have owned a landcruiser. My mechanic is recommending i change out the linkage on the sway bar to something stiffer.

Has anybody bothered to check the simple things like tire pressure?

If it is in its normal range add about 5psi and see how you like it.

It can dramatically change the vehicles handling.

Yes and that did not work. I always try the cheapest thing first. ;)

The only difference between the LX 450 suspension and the Land Cruiser suspension are the shocks. Switching to OEM Toyota Land Cruiser shocks should help with the swaying issue.

If you want to improve handling overall, for around $700 you can get new shocks and springs (installation will be extra -- about 1 to 2 hours shop time if you don't do it yourself, but the installation is fairly easy).

You can get Old Man Emu springs and shocks at either a 2 1/2" lift or at a non-lift height which is almost the same as stock height from sleeoffroad.com.

Cheers.

The only difference between the LX 450 suspension and the Land Cruiser suspension are the shocks.  Switching to OEM Toyota Land Cruiser shocks should help with the swaying issue.

If you want to improve handling overall, for around $700 you can get new shocks and springs (installation will be extra -- about 1 to 2 hours shop time if you don't do it yourself, but the installation is fairly easy).

You can get Old Man Emu springs and shocks at either a 2 1/2" lift or at a non-lift height which is almost the same as stock height from sleeoffroad.com.

Cheers.

I have already changed out the shocks with a non toyota part. The truck still sways, just as bad as before. I think I am going to have to change out the springs to Landcruiser springs or some other kind. I understand that Lexus would want a smoother and softer ride with the LX than the Landcruiser but this problem should have been fixed. It is also stupid that they still would put the smushy shocks and springs on the truck today if you go to them for the replacement.

Does anyone know if you buy an aftermarket shock for a certain vehicle if the shock also fits other vehicles and it is not made exactly like the one you would get at a Lexus dealer?

I say again, the only difference between the Land Cruiser suspension and that of the LX 450 are the shocks. The springs are the same between the two.

If you asked for replacement shocks for a LX 450, you MAY have been given shocks with a dampening rate similar to the OEM LX 450 shocks, not the stiffer Land Cruiser shocks.

As for what is or isn't stupid is subjective...not everyone has the swaying issue you're experiencing. Some do, not everyone however.

My LX 450 has Old Man Emu suspension, which I think is superior to Toyota OEM and Lexus OEM suspension...I have no swaying.

My wife's LX 450 has the stock Lexus springs and shocks...no swaying there either.

How many miles do you have on your truck? It could be that it's time to replace the springs too...

My friend had this exact problem a few years ago.  The dealer recommended to install Rancho shocks & Michelin tires.  He did &  it took care of the problem.

Seems like I've heard the opposite in regards to Michelin tires... in that their softer sidewall construction generally contibutes to a less stable feel, versus the stiffer sidewall construction of something like a BF Goodrich AT/Ko or Bridgestone Revo.

I have not heard of this being a problem with the LX 470. As for what changed...a whole lot changed!

The 470 is nothing like the 450 mechanically. Different engine, different suspension, different frame, different body...

It's too much of an apple vs. orange comparison to go further.

Don't know if I would qualify it as a "problem" with LX-450.  Only heard of 2 maybe 3 people say this (including this thread), and like I said, I never felt this swaygin with the OEM setup.

Rookie

I WENT TO A WEB SITE THAT GIVES YOU THE RESULTS OF THE TEST DRIVE ON THESE TRUCKS WHEN THEY ARE NEW AND THEY DID REPORT THE SWAYING/ROCKING PROBLEM AND REFERRED TO IT AS ANNOYING UNLIKE THE LANDCRUISERS MORE STABLE RIDE.

I WENT TO A WEB SITE THAT GIVES YOU THE RESULTS OF THE TEST DRIVE ON THESE TRUCKS WHEN THEY ARE NEW AND THEY DID REPORT THE SWAYING/ROCKING PROBLEM AND REFERRED TO IT AS ANNOYING UNLIKE THE LANDCRUISERS MORE STABLE RIDE.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the LC's have a stiffer suspension setup, and hence a more stable ride. I'm just saying that when I had my OEM setup, I never felt there was a lack of instability, above anything I would expect out of a 5500 lb SUV with a c.g. as high as these vehicles.

Regardless, none of this is solving your problem. Have you gone back to the place that you got your shocks and tried to clarify with them that you did not want a replacement shock that was comperable to the OEM suspension that you were not happy with? If you are certain that the shocks are much stiffer than OEM, then the next step IMO would be stiffer springs.

I would highly recommend that you call and talk to the guys at Sleeoffroad. Landcruisers (and LX450's) are all they work on, and vehicle suspension is one of there main gigs. I think they could give very helpful advise to you.

Rookie

I don't think anyone would dispute that the LC's have a stiffer suspension setup, and hence a more stable ride. I'm just saying that when I had my OEM setup, I never felt there was a lack of instability, above anything I would expect out of a 5500 lb SUV with a c.g. as high as these vehicles.

Regardless, none of this is solving your problem. Have you gone back to the place that you got your shocks and tried to clarify with them that you did not want a replacement shock that was comperable to the OEM suspension that you were not happy with? If you are certain that the shocks are much stiffer than OEM, then the next step IMO would be stiffer springs.

I would highly recommend that you call and talk to the guys at Sleeoffroad. Landcruisers (and LX450's) are all they work on, and vehicle suspension is one of there main gigs. I think they could give very helpful advise to you.

Rookie

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP ON THIS TOPIC. IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND I HAVE A FEW OTHER TOPICS I HAVE ENTERED AND NEED ANSWERS ON. THEY ARE WATER LEAKS, DEALER INFO AND REMOTE PROBLEMS. ALL OF WHICH ARE POSTED ON THE FORUM.