Dvd Navigation Upgrade

Is there any thruth to a statement that I read on another lexus forum that says that it is possible to watch dvd movies from the lexus nav screen, the customer needs only to go to the lexus the dealer have a a chip put in the sysytem and then the owner of the car can add a dvd sofware which will enable him/her to wach dvd on the Nav screen?

To Rodders:aka lexus Guru

I know you said that to modify the gs navv screen to play dvd's is quite complicated, but can you tell me what can be done on my part to modify the Nav so I can watch dvd on the screen, I will be taking delivery of the GS in the next few days or so?

Thanks

Is there any thruth to a statement that I read on another lexus forum that says that it is possible to watch dvd movies from the lexus nav screen, the customer needs only to go to the lexus the dealer have a a chip put in the sysytem and then the owner of the car can add a dvd sofware which will enable him/her to wach dvd on the Nav screen?

The dealer would never touch an issue like this. there are too many legal issues behind it. I am not saying i would not want to do this myself. that being said, i have a link for you to check out. This link is for the LX 470, but you could look into it more to find out if the wires would be the same. Keep me posted on this, i would like to see how it works for. Good Luck. :cheers:

http://forums.vmag.com/suvlc0199/messages/2488.html

http://www.video-nav.com/index.html

Check out the above link. This site offer porduct that you could use your factory NAV screen as a viewing screen as well. I can not say hoe it works, this site was sujested by another L.O.C. member on an issue with an IS300. Hope it helps. :cheers:

brettwarren Posted: May 15 2003, 10:18 PM [ QuoteIs there any other way with out speeding 600.00 on a Video-Nav PBA-N1? I am getting my nav replaced in 2 weeks so the dash will be a part. it would be a prefect time to install the unit but it takes 3 weeks to get one.

any ideas?

Thanks ]

They easiest way to go is to try this place called NAV-TV they also have an adpater that will work with the Lexus and it may be quicker to get, but you the part for the GS is a dealer item, so you will have to call them and they will tell you where the nearest NAV-TV dealer in your city is located. this piece is an adapter only and it will work witr any tv tuner or dvd player which I like since I already have an Alpint tv tuner myself.

HERE IS THE LINK

http://www.navtv.com/products-dealers.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Why do those Nav/TV override kits cost a sh*tload of money? I understand that it's nicely integrated, but for over half of the price you can get a top of the line mobile DVD player with much more option flexibilities (No TV capability though). Also, if you mess around with the NAV system I'm assuming the warranty is voided for any problems related to it. If you've done this and works for you, that's great. Am I the only one that think it's not worth the price for it? It just feels like a big rip off to pay over 1G for something like this (from what I remember the option for the backseat DVD system in my 2004 GX was about 1G too - screen included!)

• 3 months later...
Is there  any thruth to a statement that I read on another lexus forum that says that it is possible to watch dvd movies from the lexus nav screen, the customer needs only to go to the lexus the dealer have a  a chip put in the sysytem and then the owner of the car can add a dvd sofware which will enable him/her to wach dvd on the Nav screen?

yes you can watch dvd on a 2002 and up lexus with stock navigation, there is a moduel they sell for about $550 that will allow you to use the nav monitor as a regular monitor. you can check out lextsy.com to purchase this product ;)