Filter On Air Cooled Seats

ROSS

I have a 2003 LS430 with the "air cooled" front seats. Has anyone changed

out the "filter" that is located underneath the seat? The owners manual shows

it being located in a tray, however I see it under the seat in a difficult place

to remove. Was wondering how this would be removed, as it is not in the

"tray" as stated in the owners manual.

• 3 years later...

ok, years later than the original post but i have the solution. i own a 2004 ls430 but assume the seats didn't change much since it sounds like you filter is in the same location as mine is.

what the manual neglected to mention was "remove the seat tray first." i did this by opening the tray all the way and giving it a nice tug. you don't have to tilt up or down or press any tabs, just pull straight out.

then follow the instruction in the manual to pop the two filter hold in place tabs. if gravity doesn't cause you filter to fall all the way down freely, wiggle the filter until it pulls free. i held my breath as i did this because i heard what sounded like tape or some other adhesive pulling a loose, but all it was was the gray foamy gasket type stuff freeing itself from a snug fit (it didn't tear or rip). it might be easier to see what you're doing if you let the seat all the way up.

as far as i can tell, like the engine a/c filter (not like the in-cabin filter) the seat filter is one piece made of the element and the black rectangle thing with the tabs attached to it.

i popped mine out at 73K and they barely looked used which i suspect means they were either cleaned/new when i bought the car used at 63K (pet hair was everywhere else in the interior) or the previous owner barely used the cooled seats function.

if i can figure out how to post the filter pic w/o doing a internet link i will, otherwise just shoot me an email and i'll email it back to ya.

hope this helped someone.

be cool.

post-38247-1190720253_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

It should be noted that release of the filter's side clips is done with your hand and fingers through the opening vacated by the drawer, and the filter drops to the floor. Then one can grab it from under the seat and pull it out. The next time you remove the filter, you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed while standing on the ground outside the car.

I found that blowing the filter off with an air can removes about 95% of the dirt and lint. A thorough wash job with hot water and setting it out to dry will render the best cleaning. A combo is the best.

Now my bottom and back are cool again in the Arizona heat.

Brad

2001 LS-430