Timing Belt

My girlfriend just got a 93 sc300, 82,000 miles, $8000. It's very clean and I think she did good. But, she has no money left. How long can you wait on the timing belt? It's non-interference, right? I mean, if it breaks it won't ruin the engine will it? And what is a good price for the job when she does have some money?

Yes the SC3s timing belt is a Non-Interference engine. I can't really tell how long your timing belt will last.

I would suggest checking the records of the car. See how long until the next service. You can also inspect the belt yourself; look at the marking on the belt (gone or still exists; date on it), coarseness of the belt, dress it if necessary,a nd so on. I would also check out the other drive belts. They're likely to break before the timing belt.

hello lexxus, when i first bought my sc400 w/107,000 miles, there was never a single tune up done on that, except oil changes....and looking at the oil and fluids, somehow i doubt they did anythign at all in the past year....but anyhow, my belt held up pretty good and it was close to 110k. definately dont wait until then.

check your belt. is it shiny? any cracks on either side? those are signs of a wearing down belt. i never take my cars to the shop, but i heard the sc400 will cost you approx 2 grand...maybe a little less for the sc300 since it's an inline and the water pump is so much more accessible than that of the v-8.

My '97 SC3 is still going strong on its original timing belt at 140,000 miles. I do plan to do mine myself sometime in the near future. I drive 54 miles one way to work each day and I don't really want to get stranded when the belt decides to go. I have heard that when you change them at the recommended 90,000 miles that they still look new. I haven't seen any myself to verify, that's just what I have heard.

Tom

for 1UZFE in LS4 and SC4, dealer recommends TB/water pump replacement at 90K upto 96 model years. from 97 model year and on, lexus' recommendation changes to 120K or 7-year.

1UZFE up to 97 model year is non-interferrence. from 98 model year all changed to VVTi engine which is interferrence engine, a big no-no if TB broke!