Inferior Ride And Handling?

ROBERT-A

Hello Guys. I also have to agree with an original message owner. I had a X5 before and like it very much! When my lease expired I decided to get GX because

of the baby I have now (thinking that Lexus should be more quiet and soft), 3rd row seat and also it was a much better lease deal. I also had only 15 min test drive.

So, now lets compare. X5 had an unbelivably good handling. Of course I understand that GX is a truck opposite to the X5 that resides on a sedan platform.

But the handling is not good in GX - you have to hold the steering wheel in both hands when turning. It's not sticking to the road as X5.

Ride in sport mode is probably same or even more hard than X5. For some reason X5 took the bumps nicely. Even in the soft mode, GX not taking bumps perfectly.

Noise. I wanted to have a more quiet SUV to enjoy the music, but on highways

GX is even noisie than X5.

But, I still like the vehicle.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The direction that SUV's are going (including the off-road & full size models) is on a unibody frame with 4-corner air and IRS.

This gives you the best of both worlds. Drivability of a more car like ride while keeping the off-road capabilities of a truck. Ex. is the VW Touareg, while next quite the level of Lexus in some aspects, they are on the right track with the Touareg. Frame designs are such now that unibodies are just as strong and rigid as ladder frames.

The GX on its ladder frame is quickly becoming absolete. I would expect that when Lexus redesigns the GX for 07? 08? that it will move towards this direction.

• 3 weeks later...
The GX on its ladder frame is quickly becoming absolete. I would expect that when Lexus redesigns the GX for 07? 08? that it will move towards this direction.

I would have to disagree. For someone who needs a truck that will go offroad they are much better off having a body on frame vehicle than a unibody. Nissan went away from the body on frame design on the current Pathfinder but will go back to the body on frame design in their upcoming replacement Pathfinder.

I think I understand what the steering complaint is. If I read your point correctly, are you referring to the over-steer issue. IN that the wheel reacts to quickly and too much sensitivity to your changing direction. In that case I would agree with you 100 percent. I do think that the steering of the vehicle is WAY to sensitive. It took some time to get used to. But, when I have used the vehicle in an off-road situation, it did not seem to be as much of an issue. But, I do prefer a biased or weighted response to the steering wheel. But, I will accept that in lieu of better off-road performance, which the GX does well. Rutted roads almost feel like the have been freshly graded, and washed out trails are easily negotiated. :) That is one area that I don't think I would be taking an X5. ;)

I think I understand what the steering complaint is.  If I read your point correctly, are you referring to the over-steer issue.  IN that the wheel reacts to quickly and too much sensitivity to your changing direction.  In that case I would agree with you 100 percent.  I do think that the steering of the vehicle is WAY to sensitive.  It took some time to get used to.  But, when I have used the vehicle in an off-road situation, it did not seem to be as much of an issue.  But, I do prefer a biased or weighted response to the steering wheel.  But, I will accept that in lieu of better off-road performance, which the GX does well.  Rutted roads almost feel like the have been freshly graded, and washed out trails are easily negotiated.  :)  That is one area that I don't think I would be taking an X5.  ;)

I drove pretty much every SUV at the Lexus Redefined event. I was shocked at how much the X5 surprised me. It had the 16" tires. But it was so small.

THe GX did feel sloppier as it should. This is a true truck based SUV. The X5 clearly is/was the sportiest SUV on the market. More Cayenne competition or ML 55.

The GX won 4X4 of the year 2 years in a row. Its a real SUV

I drove pretty much every SUV at the Lexus Redefined event. I was shocked at how much the X5 surprised me. It had the 16" tires. But it was so small.

THe GX did feel sloppier as it should. This is a true truck based SUV. The X5 clearly is/was the sportiest SUV on the market. More Cayenne competition or ML 55.

The GX won 4X4 of the year 2 years in a row. Its a real SUV

I drove just about every vehicle in the luxury SUV class before deciding on the GX. They each have their own character and strengths. The X5 is more sports car, and competes more with vehicles like The Cadillac SRX. I preferred the SRX to the X5 for handling though. The GX does not handle like either of those, but I prefered the overall ride and driving experience of the GX.

I have not had any handling problems with my GX on the highway. It rides smooth and quiet and tracks straight. It is a truck based SUV though, and was not designed to handle like a sports car. I keep the adjustable suspension in the #2 setting, and find that is most to my liking in everyday driving.

Well, I finally got sick and tired of driving a so-called "Man's" truck posing as a luxury SUV, and traded the sucker in on a 2004 MDX. Couldn't be happier!

<_<

Robert, I hope this works out for you. This weekend, we traded our MDX on a GX. Got sick and tired of the minor but numerous problems with the MDX. It was in the shop five times in 18 months. The MDX is not as quiet or as comfortable as the GX, and the interior materials do not compare. Some people mistook the MDX for a minivan as well, which drove my wife crazy.

I hope you are as happy with your MDX as we are with our new GX. Ours is riding great, tracking well, and is loaded with quality. And the Lexus dealer treats us like...Lexus customers!

Robert, I hope this works out for you.  This weekend, we traded our MDX on a GX.  Got sick and tired of the minor but numerous problems with the MDX.  It was in the shop five times in 18 months.  The MDX is not as quiet or as comfortable as the GX, and the interior materials do not compare.  Some people mistook the MDX for a minivan as well, which drove my wife crazy.

I hope you are as happy with your MDX as we are with our new GX.  Ours is riding great, tracking well, and is loaded with quality.  And the Lexus dealer treats us like...Lexus customers!

I havn't had any experience with my Lexus dealers service dept yet...nothing has gone wrong. :> I did look at the MDX, X5, ML500, SRX, Escalade, etc, and made my decison for the GX470 on the basis of that experience. After almost a month of ownership, nothing has changed my mind. I enjoy getting into my GX every day, seeing and feeling the quality and luxury of the interior, and experienceing the plush ride that has gotten me spoiled real fast. Lexus interior quaiity and quietness simply outclass anything else close to their price.

I owned an 04 Cadillac CTS previously, and one month into that ownership experience found me in an all out war with my selling dealers service dept. My Lexus experience is much better.

Well, I finally got sick and tired of driving a so-called "Man's" truck posing as a luxury SUV, and traded the sucker in on a 2004 MDX. Couldn't be happier!

<_<

Robert, I hope this works out for you. This weekend, we traded our MDX on a GX. Got sick and tired of the minor but numerous problems with the MDX. It was in the shop five times in 18 months. The MDX is not as quiet or as comfortable as the GX, and the interior materials do not compare. Some people mistook the MDX for a minivan as well, which drove my wife crazy.

I hope you are as happy with your MDX as we are with our new GX. Ours is riding great, tracking well, and is loaded with quality. And the Lexus dealer treats us like...Lexus customers!

The only reason one would trade a GX for a MDX is to have cheaper monthly payments. The GX is a true luxury SUV, the MDX while nice, is built off the Honda Odyessy Mini-van platform. Apples to Oranges.

<_<

The only reason one would trade a GX for a MDX is to have cheaper monthly payments. The GX is a true luxury SUV, the MDX while nice, is built off the Honda Odyessy Mini-van platform. Apples to Oranges.

The GX470 and the MDX should not even be compared. There are not even geared to the same type of buyer.

The way I look at it:

The Lx470 is a "premium luxury" suv

The Gx470 is a "luxury" suv

The Rx330 is a "entry level luxury" suv.

The MDX is also a "entry luxury" suv.

Compare a MDX to a Rx330, not a Gx.

I'd agree when it comes to cars, but not SUVs. For some buyers, including me, the RX or MDX would be more appealing than the GX just because of the fact it rides on a car platform and has a more carlike ride. The GX has more towing capacity and more power to match that but you have a tradeoff in ride because of the fact that its a truck. The GX doesn't have any equipment that can't be had on the RX, in fact the RX has HID headlamps which aren't availiable on the GX. I personally wouldn't even drive a GX when looking for an SUV because it doesn't suit my needs, not because its too expensive a vehicle.

I'd agree when it comes to cars, but not SUVs. For some buyers, including me, the RX or MDX would be more appealing than the GX just because of the fact it rides on a car platform and has a more carlike ride. The GX has more towing capacity and more power to match that but you have a tradeoff in ride because of the fact that its a truck. The GX doesn't have any equipment that can't be had on the RX, in fact the RX has HID headlamps which aren't availiable on the GX. I personally wouldn't even drive a GX when looking for an SUV because it doesn't suit my needs, not because its too expensive a vehicle.

You can't get KDSS on a RX. I had HID's on a GS400 and now on a ES330. They throw a huge amount of light but for a limited range, then it's almost blackout time.

Thats a tradeoff, the lights are set low to avoid dazzling oncumming drivers. Easily fixed by adjusting the aim up slightly.

As for the KDSS, you can get active suspension on the RX, but the KDSS is mostly designed for offroad and adverse roadbed conditions the RX is not designed to be operated in, hence no use for it. Can't get KDSS on the LX470 either.

Thats a tradeoff, the lights are set low to avoid dazzling oncumming drivers. Easily fixed by adjusting the aim up slightly.

As for the KDSS, you can get active suspension on the RX, but the KDSS is mostly designed for offroad and adverse roadbed conditions the RX is not designed to be operated in, hence no use for it. Can't get KDSS on the LX470 either.

KDSS is for on road handling too. There are other threads with posts about the difference between a non KDSS and KDSS truck during on road driving. This is also mentioned on the corporate Lexus site as well as GX reviews. AVS is standard equipment.

If you adjust the lights higher, you will probably end up with living proof why HID's are not offered on the GX.

Well, they are two very different vehicles for sure. Apples and oranges. To each his/her own, which is why the two models exist in the first place.

<_<

u think that's bad? My Gx has been in the shop, oh, let's count this month (oct-nov) 2 so far. in the last 7 months, 6 times! :angry::angry: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Robert, I hope this works out for you.  This weekend, we traded our MDX on a GX.  Got sick and tired of the minor but numerous problems with the MDX.  It was in the shop five times in 18 months.  The MDX is not as quiet or as comfortable as the GX, and the interior materials do not compare.  Some people mistook the MDX for a minivan as well, which drove my wife crazy.

I hope you are as happy with your MDX as we are with our new GX.  Ours is riding great, tracking well, and is loaded with quality.  And the Lexus dealer treats us like...Lexus customers!

I havn't had any experience with my Lexus dealers service dept yet...nothing has gone wrong. :> I did look at the MDX, X5, ML500, SRX, Escalade, etc, and made my decison for the GX470 on the basis of that experience. After almost a month of ownership, nothing has changed my mind. I enjoy getting into my GX every day, seeing and feeling the quality and luxury of the interior, and experienceing the plush ride that has gotten me spoiled real fast. Lexus interior quaiity and quietness simply outclass anything else close to their price.

I owned an 04 Cadillac CTS previously, and one month into that ownership experience found me in an all out war with my selling dealers service dept. My Lexus experience is much better.

ur lucky strindl, once u start going to the dealer, that's when the pain all starts! :chairshot:

u think that's bad? My Gx has been in the shop, oh, let's count this month (oct-nov) 2 so far. in the last 7 months, 6 times!  :

I've had my GX for a bit over a month now and its been in the shop, oh lets see now.... ZERO Times. :)

Well, they are two very different vehicles for sure.  Apples and oranges.  To each his/her own, which is why the two models exist in the first place.

Thats exactly my point, its not because one is "better" than the others its because they cater to different buyers.

KDSS is for on road handling too. There are other threads with posts about the difference between a non KDSS and KDSS truck during on road driving. This is also mentioned on the corporate Lexus site as well as GX reviews. AVS is standard equipment.

If you adjust the lights higher, you will probably end up with living proof why HID's are not offered on the GX.

Well, they are two very different vehicles for sure. Apples and oranges. To each his/her own, which is why the two models exist in the first place.

Your quite correct in the KDSS is for road handling as well. I have experience in mountain roads with it and without it. And the difference is body sway is reduced significantly. I am not sure at what point even AWD would lose traction, since there is little body roll to judge lateral force, but the vehicle manuevers better than expected. I still think there is a bit too much over-steer, but one does learn to adjust.

I have also been looking into HID upgrades for the GX, but have not ventured down that path.

I looked at the MDX , but it had few ergonmic refinements and is really a front wheel drive with an electronic clutch for the "all-wheel" propulsion.

For the money, the GX works well, but if you never wanted to venture off-road the X-5 is still a great drive. I had my fill of Land Rovers, fantastic trucks, but you never knew when you were going to be stranded waiting for a tow. Which, depending on your locality, would really really suck.

I guess even for a company like Lexus, which has the THE highest ratings in consumer satisfaction, can still have the occasional problem child. If you had to buy on statistics, the lexus would be a no brainer. But, when you have been kicked in the gut by a problem issue, there is probably very little any one can say to make it better.

After having my truck now for 12K miles, I do not feel I have made the wrong choice. It has only been in for service, which they local dealer completes in a couple of hours and than picks me up or delivers the car. All I can say is good luck to the others who don't feel the same way.

Driving through the mountains on Highway 17 the other day, I finally remembered to switch the AVS from Comfort 2 to full Sport. I was very pleasantly surprised at the range of the suspension settings, though the ride got pretty stiff. There was a 330I convertible in the passing lane in front of me and all he could see in his rear view mirror was a big chrome "L" logo. He must have felt a little nervous and moved over so I could pass him. WHOA, I'm not saying my truck can out handle a bimmer but just that I know that road like the back of my hand and obviously, he didn't. It was just too tempting to press a little since the corners felt so good with the KDSS and the full Sport setting. I'll try to keep my "road racing" limited to that one episode. It's amazing a vehicle with such a tall stance can corner as well as it does.

• 3 months later...
Interesting.  Although soft for my taste (my car is an Audi S8), I've driven my wife's GX470 from Dallas to Houston in both sunny, thunderstorm and windy conditions.  Setting the car at the stiffer setting made it drive perfectly at constant speeds of 75-85mph.  In comparison, a Volvo S80 rental I drove last the same route was all over the place (very unstable).

There must be something with your vehicle (alignment or tire pressure).

Although the ride is very comfortable, the vehicle flails in very moderate winds. Very scary on the highways. People think you own a Lexus but you have to let everyone by. Where is the stiffer setting on the GX. I'd like to try it today.

Thanks

Interesting.  Although soft for my taste (my car is an Audi S8), I've driven my wife's GX470 from Dallas to Houston in both sunny, thunderstorm and windy conditions.  Setting the car at the stiffer setting made it drive perfectly at constant speeds of 75-85mph.   In comparison, a Volvo S80 rental I drove last the same route was all over the place (very unstable).

There must be something with your vehicle (alignment or tire pressure).

Although the ride is very comfortable, the vehicle flails in very moderate winds. Very scary on the highways. People think you own a Lexus but you have to let everyone by. Where is the stiffer setting on the GX. I'd like to try it today.

Thanks

The AVS setting is on the console just behind the rear height control. Is that what you're asking?

I keep my suspension on full sport all the time. I prefer a tigher ride, but compared to my other cars, even at full sport the GX feels very cushy (cushy in a good way.) I just got back from a Seattle to Whistler drive and was totally impressed how the GX did on the curves along the mountain roads. Plus I had four people, all our gear, and the back was happily watching Lord of the Rings. I couldnt be happier. Now if we are comparing ride quality to say, a LS sedan, well...of course there is going to be a difference. For what the GX is, I dont know of a better vechicle in its class.

People have also been mentioning the Toureg. I think that is a great car and the V8 is awesome. We are currently on our second one. First one was a total lemon and was in the shop for literally 5 months waiting for parts from Germany. VW was great and at no cost, replaced the vehicle. The new one actually had more options, but we were traded straight across. Unfortunately 1 month later it got in a major accident and has never really been the same since. :( It has just been bad luck with the VW in all respects...

• 4 months later...

I have an H2 Hummer and I think it is safe to say that it is more of a truck than the GX is. The body roll in our GX (non KDSS) is horrible. My H2 has less roll around bends. We replaced an 02 Escalade with the GX and it drove like a sports car compared to this. This vehicle feels very unsafe.