Cruise Control

jnicoli

Hey, y'all! Your input's been helpful, so just another quick question: My cruise control would turn off in the middle of driving (i.e. the freeway) about once a month. All I need to do then is to pull over, turn off the car, then restart the car. Then the cruise is back on. Right now it's more of an inconvenience. However, is this symptomatic of the cruise going down and something need replacing? Can I know if I can go ahead and replace it ahead of a long road trip? Thanks for y'all's help !!

i had this happen to me when i drove from NC to CA. i noticed that every time it happened, the cruise control was on and operating. it only happened like this: for example i was cruisin somewhere in arizona on I-40 at like 79mph and this crappy CRX comes up in the fast lane with a bunch of dumb lookin teenagers and the driver thought he was hot sh*t. i had to show him who's boss! with cruise still on and engaged, i manually put my foot on the gas and accelerated without ever turning cruise main off or hitting cancel. as i got past 100 mph, i think the cruise light blinked (maybe) and went off. after reaming this CRX a new assh*le, i dropped my speed back down to a legal speed and tried to turn cruise on. i pressed and pressed and it did not come on. i did the same thing that u said u did and i pulled over, shut the car off, restarted it and it worked again. this probably happened to me about 7 times in my 2500 mile drive but only when speeding up manually. i also thought as i was going that the cruise turns itself off at a certain high speed. i proved this wrong buy turning cruise main on and setting the cruise at 135 mph. one reason that i just thought of and have yet to test is when cruise is on and engaged, and you accelerate past the set speed (no matter how much past it you go) and maintain the speed manually, cruise will only stay on for a few seconds and turn itself off, but only if above the set speed.

i hope this helps in some way. if i confused you, tell me and i will clear it up.

you accelerate past the set speed (no matter how much past it you go) and maintain the speed manually, cruise will only stay on for a few seconds and turn itself off, but only if above the set speed.

Is this a feature on the LS or is it malfunctioning?

• 3 weeks later...

So on my trip from Dallas to Los Angeles, i noticed this: my car is full of stuff for my move, and when I'd set it at 75 mph and I hit a steeper hill, it disengages. It never did that before with no baggage. So I'm thinking that when there's quite a bit more than normal strain on the tranny (?), that the cruise control disengages for some sort of safety feature that prevents any damage to the car? just a deduction.

So I'm thinking that when there's quite a bit more than normal strain on the tranny (?), that the cruise control disengages for some sort of safety feature that prevents any damage to the car?

doubtful. theres probably something wrong with your cruise ecu itself. i had a 97 jetta and at 125k miles, the cruise simply stopped working. i would turn "cruise main" on, then it "set/accel". i would feel the gas pedal come back out quickly. if i held the accelerate button, the gas pedal would come out slower, but still come out and leave me coasting. i never got it fixed but it was believed to be a vaccum leak somewhere. i dont think cruise turns itself off b/c of strain. i also had a 94 mazda 626 5 spd. once i set the cruise at about 32 mph while driving in 5th gear (pretty low RPMs) and i pulled up the hand brake. the gas pedal simply went farther and farther down even as the speed dropped to 25 mph. cruise never turned itself off.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, y'all! Your input's been helpful, so just another quick question: My cruise control would turn off in the middle of driving (i.e. the freeway) about once a month. All I need to do then is to pull over, turn off the car, then restart the car. Then the cruise is back on. Right now it's more of an inconvenience. However, is this symptomatic of the cruise going down and something need replacing? Can I know if I can go ahead and replace it ahead of a long road trip? Thanks for y'all's help !!

I had the similar issue.

My cruise control use to cancel while driving.

What i noticed was hand break light is blinking once in a while

when it blinks in the middle of cruise use, it forces to cancel.

And then i spend few hours why it is happening and found the

solution, the break light was blinking [hand break]

BECAUSE THE BREAK FLUID IS BELOW THE MIN LEVEL.

I dont think you have the same issue , hope this may help too

I checked the break fluid reservior and refilled upto MAX

it resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Srini

got this by mistake from ceenu by report this post:

I had the similar issue.

My cruise control use to cancel while driving.

What i noticed was hand break light is blinking once in a while

when it blinks in the middle of cruise use, it forces to cancel.

And then i spend few hours why it is happening and found the

solution, the break light was blinking [hand break]

BECAUSE THE BREAK FLUID IS BELOW THE MIN LEVEL.

I dont think you have the same issue , hope this may help too

I checked the break fluid reservior and refilled upto MAX

it resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Srini