A Warped Flange Thing

CanadaCraig

I Guys!! :)

Apparently - my LS has a warped flange - which is a 'thing' between the exhaust pipe and manifold - so I believe. If you know what I'm talking about - do you also know if that's an expensive part? I can't seem to find 'it' anywhere. [unless it goes by some other name - OR I just haven't been looking in the right places] It's that 'warp' that has been causing a lot annoying exhaust rattles. It became warped [apparently] when someone put the exhaust system back onto the car after having balanced the driveline.

Craig!! :)

Hi 99lsguy!! :)

No - it's not a loose bolt. [unfortunately] The Lexus service guys have told me it's a warped flange. They tried to make up for that warp by using silicon. It helped - but it still rattles when starting the car a few minutes after its' been running. [in other words - when it's warm] I was given the impression that a new flange is expensive - but I never enquired as to HOW expensive. [i probably didn't want to know - at the time] I highly suspect that it's that warp that has been causing the other two problems - a vibrating gas pedal and shifter. [at least I hope so]

Now... if that's fixed [as in 'replaced'] AND the gas is cleaned up [it's still dirty] I just might end up liking my LS after all. [oh yeah - and put on new STRUTS!!]

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Hi cnacne!! :)

Thanks!!! That IS a good idea - but I can't help wonder why the guys at the Lexus place didn't do that. They just used a bunch of silicon. If they're not willing to replace the flange [which I think SHOULD be done] than I'll mention your two-gasket idea. I just want the rattling to STOP!!

Hi 99lsguy!! :)

Thanks for the diagram. Although I'm not sure - I think the flange causing the problem just might be part of one of catalytic converters. Maybe that's why I was 'warned' about it being an expensive part. Hmm... I better go back in - again - and get this dealt with - once and for all.

I also have to have the fuel problem dealt with. You can read more about that in my 'dirty fuel?' message.

Thanks again,

Craig!! :(